(Chestnut folks) I'm looking for a Marrisard chestnut

ethompson

5 year old buck +
This chestnut has been my best grower. In its 3rd year in the ground from a seedling. Nothing seems to bothers this very hardy tree. From all the Dunstan, Chinese, European, Japanese chestnut I've planted this the only one that I don't want to rip out the ground. Not during very hot weather in east Texas, droughts, -4 temps, high humidity or too much rain bothers this sucker. Even a transplant I did after it already had summer leaves just to move in line with other chestnuts. The one thing that will kill this chestnut for sure is my dad on a tractor shredding. Cage or no cage. He's 82 so I give him credit for just being on the tractor.
The nursery where I got it from is Burnt Ridge nursery. Great nursery customer service and great website. I have no complaints about this nursery. I've tried for the last 2-3 years to order more but every winter/spring I get an email saying we have to cancel due weather. Which I fully understand. This year they took it off their order list. So I'm trying to find it else where. I think the nursery said the chestnut came from Italy? Don't really remember but its very drought and heat tolerant and disease resistant.
So if anyone knows where I can get a few seedlings or seeds ( I guess) I will be one happy camper. I tried doing a web search but I don' want to get it wrong. I want to make sure that I get this chestnut tree. Thanks

Sold out now but maybe latter this fall they will have stock.

Thank you very much. I just got on their waiting list.

When I first ordered this tree I was concerned about where it was grown (NW), but just about every other tree I planted and failed came from the south eastern region. So I said what the heck.

This chestnut has been my best grower. In its 3rd year in the ground from a seedling. Nothing seems to bothers this very hardy tree. From all the Dunstan, Chinese, European, Japanese chestnut I've planted this the only one that I don't want to rip out the ground. Not during very hot weather in east Texas, droughts, -4 temps, high humidity or too much rain bothers this sucker. Even a transplant I did after it already had summer leaves just to move in line with other chestnuts. The one thing that will kill this chestnut for sure is my dad on a tractor shredding. Cage or no cage. He's 82 so I give him credit for just being on the tractor.
The nursery where I got it from is Burnt Ridge nursery. Great nursery customer service and great website. I have no complaints about this nursery. I've tried for the last 2-3 years to order more but every winter/spring I get an email saying we have to cancel due weather. Which I fully understand. This year they took it off their order list. So I'm trying to find it else where. I think the nursery said the chestnut came from Italy? Don't really remember but its very drought and heat tolerant and disease resistant.
So if anyone knows where I can get a few seedlings or seeds ( I guess) I will be one happy camper. I tried doing a web search but I don' want to get it wrong. I want to make sure that I get this chestnut tree. Thanks
You are in luck. I have a bunch of seedlings I am trying to find homes for. I will be more than happy to send you a few once the leaves drop (I think they trees wouldn't do very well being sent with leaves on). It might even be a good idea to wait and do them as bare roots in the early spring if you want to wait that long. I actually just threw away the rest of the unneeded nuts I had but would have gladly send you some of them.

I also purchased from Burnt Ridge. I have been growing as many as I can to see what works best on our farms in Northern MO. I have been mostly unimpressed with Marrisards for their first year growth, though. My best have been Skioka, Maraval, and Dunstans (what Chestnut Ridge of Pike County considers their hybrid chestnuts).

Let's keep in touch and we can figure out the best time to get you the seedlings.

I had never heard of that cultivar before. Did some quick reading and found the following. Make sure this isn't the only cultivar you're planting.

This mid to late season ripening chestnut is pollen sterile and requires a pollinizer tree. Good pollinizer choices for Marissard are Belle Epine and Maraval.

I had never heard of that cultivar before. Did some quick reading and found the following. Make sure this isn't the only cultivar you're planting.

This mid to late season ripening chestnut is pollen sterile and requires a pollinizer tree. Good pollinizer choices for Marissard are Belle Epine and Maraval.
That's a good call. I was waiting for EThompson to respond again to get a clarification. Mine are seedlings and not clones. Because chestnuts open-air pollinate, offspring are not as likely to be pollen sterile. To your point, it would still benefit to have other cultivars around to help with pollination.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have chinese and Dunstan still planted along with a few allegheny chinkapin. I had about a dozen allegheny die off this year I think due to to much moisture. Here in east Texas we reached our annual rainfall total I think back in june. During that time is when I lost them. Now the survivors are doing ok.
Yes Hoyt I would love to take some seedlings. Thank you. I normally like to plant in fall or winter. I haven't had much luck with direct planting though. So I'm trying to avoid nuts for now.
I will do research on Epine and Maraval to see if they will make it in my region. Thanks for the input Grizz.
My goal for next year is to try to do vegetation kill about 3 ft around all my young tree. With the rain we got this year it's been a pain keeping up with the vegetation growth. Even with mats.
Thanks again

Grizz I did a quick search online about the 2 pollinizers that you mentioned. They both seem to fit in to what I like to order except both say warm regions. I'm only warm in Spring and fall and sometimes winter. July, August and September are usually well into the triple digits. I don't consider that warm but maybe the articles do. Going to order 2 each for now to test them out for a couple of years. Thank