Check out these chestnuts!

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
I guess these 2 trees must be in a fertile pocket and receive the perfect amount of of sun light because that are far outperforming my other trees. The tree with the 5 pods is a walmart bought dunstan that was planted last fall. The pods are still green an show know indication that they are starting to split which makes me happy. Later they drop the better! The tree in the tube is a MO Native nursery chestnut. Is is shooting for the sky in a hurry! Tube is a 5ftR. Its base is pretty impressive for a 2ft tall seedling planted last fall. How are your guys chestnuts doing now that the growing season is coming to an end. Lets see them. I know you northern guys dont have the growing season we do which makes it tough.
image1 (4).JPG
image1 (5).JPG

Nice growth Jordan. Do you have another tree that would've pollinated the Walmart Dunstan ?

The best of mine put on 30"' of growth this year and are now over 5'. Most probably put on 15" and are in the 30" range. They are not in full sun.

Yes I have several others planted by this tree. I think 5 walmart dunstans and 5 native nursery chinese chestnuts. That doesnt seem to bad for growth for your trees zone 4 gets chilly!

Very nice Jordan. They look great. My trees did well this year, and I have found 12 Chinese seedlings that came up from nuts in a spot not mowed all year long. I will dig up and transplant as soon as they go dormant.

Very nice Jordan. They look great. My trees did well this year, and I have found 12 Chinese seedlings that came up from nuts in a spot not mowed all year long. I will dig up and transplant as soon as they go dormant.

No kidding thats cool but part of me was hoping the deer would gobble them up to fast for that to happen!!! Or was this within a tree cage? Have you noticed if the deer are taking to feeding on them Native Hunter???? Part of me worries these chestnuts aren't all they are cracked up to be. I know its just another piece to the puzzle but just hope they live up to the reputation of being preferred over white oaks. We shall see

Looking good! mine are doing about normal for first year growth for me. I have noticed that my trees dont start the big growth jump untill the second year. The heat and dry summers of the south really work on a young tree untill they get established then they jump! i hope mine make a jump next year!

No kidding thats cool but part of me was hoping the deer would gobble them up to fast for that to happen!!! Or was this within a tree cage? Have you noticed if the deer are taking to feeding on them Native Hunter???? Part of me worries these chestnuts aren't all they are cracked up to be. I know its just another piece to the puzzle but just hope they live up to the reputation of being preferred over white oaks. We shall see

Jordan, these were from trees in my FIL's yard within a few feet of his house. I don't doubt that deer come that close to the house at night, but I also know that squirrels bury chestnuts just like they do acorns, so that is my theory. Normally he mowed under these trees, but this year he didn't mow because a new road is taking his house and yard. These seedlings are so small that I know they came up this year. Another reason for my squirrel theory is that some of the seedlings were at least 30 feet beyond the edge of the trees. Those chestnuts didn't fall that far from the tree - something had to carry them there.

I now have 8 potted Dunstan seedlings that I recently bought for $5 each and 12 Chinese seedlings. So I have 20 chestnut seedlings to set soon. I put ribbons on the Chinese seedlings so I would be able to find them in the tall grass when the leaves fall off. Part of them are going on my hunting property and part in my yard. I like eating chestnuts myself.

I have never put a camera on any of the trees at the farm, but I do see the chestnuts disappear. I really think there will be no problem with deer eating them. Maybe next year we will put a camera on a tree and see what happens.

looking good guys!

NH,

How old is this tree?

NH Mountains, if I recall correctly it is 7 years old, and I know its not over 9. Too bad it is going to be dozed out. Most of the ones at the farm were set near the same time and are about that size. They produced a lot of nuts this year.,

NH Mountains, if I recall correctly it is 7 years old, and I know its not over 9. Too bad it is going to be dozed out. Most of the ones at the farm were set near the same time and are about that size. They produced a lot of nuts this year.,
Dozed Nnnoooooo!?

Truck Mount Tree Spade and move them if possible!
If possible we will be moving them. Been so busy trying to get everybody and everything moved that not much time to think about the trees. Just got them and most belongings into the new house a few days ago. Also some nice young Apple trees I would like to try and move.

If possible we will be moving them. Been so busy trying to get everybody and everything moved that not much time to think about the trees. Just got them and most belongings into the new house a few days ago. Also some nice young Apple trees I would like to try and move.
I'm guessing this is your new house? If so congrats!

I'm guessing this is your new house? If so congrats!

Actually its my inlaws new house, but I should be able to get some good meals there.:D The road got them but just clipped the edge of my yard. Got three of my neighbors (all family). We have had a wild summer getting everything done that had to be done.

Thanks - Steve

Well I snuck off the the farm this morning to hang a stand and plant a few trees. I checked on my chestnuts and one pod was opening. I kinda forced it open and the chestnuts in it were shriveled up and not dark at all. Looked like a sick chestnut lol.
Will the other pods most likely be like this too?????

Well I snuck off the the farm this morning to hang a stand and plant a few trees. I checked on my chestnuts and one pod was opening. I kinda forced it open and the chestnuts in it were shriveled up and not dark at all. Looked like a sick chestnut lol.
Will the other pods most likely be like this too?????

Jordan, that sounds like they didn't get pollinated. That can sometimes happen with young trees or a tree that doesn't have a pollinator nearby. It may or may not happen with the others. If you have several trees near each other, I wouldn't expect it to continue to happen once the trees mature a little more.

Jordan, that sounds like they didn't get pollinated. That can sometimes happen with young trees or a tree that doesn't have a pollinator nearby. It may or may not happen with the others. If you have several trees near each other, I wouldn't expect it to continue to happen once the trees mature a little more.
Tks. I have lots of other trees close by. But many are 2nd leaf trees and a handful of 3rd leaf. Hopefully I luck out at then others got pollinated. I was looking forward to growing them from seed:( Guess I better find some other chestnuts to grow now.