Cheap Land

West Branch

5 year old buck +
I had a guy telling me that you can find land for $500 an acre in parts of northern MN. Here is an example of what you can find:

http://stcloud.craigslist.org/for/4518008956.html

I think the craigslist listing saying it is a mixture of high and low ground is a it of an exaggeration, there is maybe 2 acres of hard ground. The colored areas in this map is swamp per the Cass County website.

Pillager 40.JPG

I think I would maybe pay $100 an acre for this, just to say I own some more land. How do people end up with a 40 like this? Do they buy it sight unseen as some sort of investment?

They buy them during the winter. I have a brother inlaw who purchased land north of Finland during the winter and it has not turned out well. Somehow he got the idea land near Ely and the north shore was being bought up so he paid $1000 per acre for 70% swamp. The real kicker is you can only be there early spring and fall when there is no bugs. During the summer the misquitos and black flies are unbelievable.

ad mentions beaver dam on property, evict those rodents and let er drain would be an idea if a visit shows that might be just what it needs.

If I were buying, I would make sure their is a dedicated easement thru the Potlatch land.

A guy bought a 40 near me a few years ago when the prices were toped out. He over paid then and built a 40x60 Morten shed with living quarters in part of it. Put in Well and septic. It now looks like a house boat completely surrounded by water. If he would have done a little home work and looked at a topo map he would have realized he put it in the wrong spot. He has had a for sale sign on it for the last couple of years. Rich guy with no brains. IMO.

Last edited:
There was a decent parcel in Koochiching County a few years ago for $200/acre, thought about buying it...but passed.
Every so often a low priced parcel comes up, but often difficult access or a lot of lowland.

I agree that piece might not be too bad depending on some factors. If the potlatch land around it isn't too pressured (probably unlikely that close to Brainerd) and if there is access you could have a decent honey hole. In a dry year and a hole punched in the beaver dam you could have a decent cheap hunting spot.

I have seen a couple others around $600 an acre recently which had both limited or no legal access and 80%+ swamp.

We've been fortunate to pull off a deal for a very good price last spring in NW MN. Asking was about 850/acre and we offered something else and were grinning ear to ear.

I paid 800/acre for my 287 in Mo last June. Great access. Good deer an turkey. Yr round water. No flooding. No easements. I own the mineral rights. I should have it paid for in less than 2 yrs from today. Then I'm gonna start low balling the logging companies for another piece. I'm gonna buy all I can under 1k/acre. I like this investment much better than shady stock brokers

I paid 800/acre for my 287 in Mo last June. Great access. Good deer an turkey. Yr round water. No flooding. No easements. I own the mineral rights. I should have it paid for in less than 2 yrs from today. Then I'm gonna start low balling the logging companies for another piece. I'm gonna buy all I can under 1k/acre. I like this investment much better than shady stock brokers

What part of MO?

One day I will own land in Missouri. Country looks beautiful and big bucks like it there, too bad EHD does too.

A guy bought a 40 near me a few years ago when the prices were toped out. He over paid then and built a 40x60 Morten shed with living quarters in part of it. Put in Well and septic. It now looks like a house boat completely surrounded by water. If he would have done a little home work and looked at a topo map he would have realized he put it in the wrong spot. He has had a for sale sign on it for the last couple of years. Rich guy with no brains. IMO.
Is that by Sobieski?

What part of MO?

One day I will own land in Missouri. Country looks beautiful and big bucks like it there, too bad EHD does too.

East central, Washington county. It's big woods hunting but i prefer that. I would feel like a fish out of water in ag country. I have not seen any sign of EHD in my area. Tk God for that.

Here is 300 acres in Milaca for just over $1,100 per acre. Looks very good with gravel rights. Might be worth checking out.

http://stcloud.craigslist.org/reb/4496188700.html
Good find Mo! You gonna buy it? Gravel pits make a great shooting range! We have one here close to the house that we shoot long range in.

I have noticed a lot of land south of that line in the $700-$1,000 range.....why? That close to STL one would think it would be a lot more? You won't touch land for that cheap in Northern Missouri...not right now anyways!

I think you made a great buy! When I retire in a year or two I may have to take a drive down and see what that area looks like!

Tks Mo. Your guess is as good as mine on prices. Ground in that area is generally pretty rocky. Deer per square mile numbers aren't near what they are north of the Missouri River but plant it and they will come from a long ways:) they usually stick around too. My place was spot logged in 08/09 and I'm sure they made a shit pot of money off the timber. They are logging a bunch all around me now. Buyers market for sure! Let me know if you ever want to take a drive. Would love to have you for a land neighbor so I could get free shipping on food plot seed;) lol jk.
I thought about buying in north Mo but liked the idea of a 1hr drive from my front door and more acreage for my money. There is something magical about hunting southern hardwood ridges.

http://www.landwatch.com/Washington-County-Missouri-House-for-sale/pid/289163030
When I retire, I will sell you the business!

Also, Northern Missouri can be Magical as well! There is something magical about watching a 170" buck come across a AG field from a 1000 yards. Comes all the way across your neighbors field and in to yours a 100 yards a way with a bow in your hand....... just to have a doe lead him back the way he came, never to be seen again!
Just Frucking Magical!:mad:

All your chemical accounts come with it?:rolleyes: I have heard their is pretty dang good $$$ in bulk chem sales...

This place is $500 an acre. It looks like a lot of swamp land but as far as I know it is a decent hunting area the way MN goes.

http://www.landwatch.com/Todd-County-Minnesota-Land-for-sale/pid/296781730
I just represented a seller with land just a few miles NW of there. It was a nice piece of high ground hardwoods with a creek and some low land on one edge. It sold for 110K for 90 acres.