Chance Seedlings - Yet to be discovered in your backyard.

The reason why I asked is in 2010 I found 3 seedlings growing up together. I surmised they came from a fallen apple. I separated them and planted them. Two nearby and the other at another location. The largest grew fast and seemed to out grow its roots as it needed to be staked. It produced 10 or so blossoms in 2014 which I pinched. Then in 2015 it produced 30 or so 2.5" apples that held all winter. We had late snow in late spring of 2016 and it only had 3-4 apples. It's closest planted brother has not produced any blossoms but, has now outgrown the producing tree. It is now loaded with fruit spurs for this year. The third tree didn't get as much light as these two and is way behind. I opened it up and it responded last year. I'm anxious to see how the fruit on the second tree turns out.
My wife and I often visit NH. Do you know Michael Phillips author of The Apple Grower: A Guide for the Organic Orchardist? He owns the Lost Nation Orchard located in Lancaster. I like what you are doing learning by seed. It is the excitement of exploring the unknown and what you may find in that discovery is what drives us to improve our existence. If you are ever interested in the raw component profile for the fruit and/or juice from you seedlings, I can connect you to several labs to do the analysis.

Bottom line is - all the seeds from 1 individual apple fruit may all grow into different apple trees ?? But there's a chance 2 seeds may be twins ??

Discovering a new, spectacular apple is like playing & winning the lottery it seems, realizing all the trillions of variables involved.

Has anyone tried deliberate apple breeding? There is a field method tried by a guy on facebook who once went by the handle of Turkey Song.

I tried last year, but frost got all of the blossoms.

PICT0023 - Copy.JPG
I have noticed the amazing fact that deer will prefer some trees almost exclusively over others. I have a food plot with 12 fully mature apples around it and the deer will go to one particular tree pretty much for a month before moving on to different trees. I have tasted all these apples and they all taste the same to me but, obviously the deer taste something different. I will note that this tree is much smaller than the others being probably 10-12 foot tall while all the others are 30 ft plus. I have another one of these smaller trees in another part of the property and notice preference to this smaller size tree over the rest also. Drop times for most of my trees (which I have hundreds) are from October 1 through December although I have one tree out of the hundreds that drops in July.

I have notice the same on our property where deer seem to go to certain trees like a magnet and other they show little interest. Of the hundreds that grow on our property, I can think of only three such trees having a high attraction for wildlife. Which raw component does the "Franklin Cider" have that makes it a good attractant? Could it be the fact having a sugar measurement of 17.5 to 19.5 brix's be the factor, or maybe the wonderful dryness (astringency) of the high tannins which wows the taste buds in humans works much the same for whitetails. Why do deer seem to prefer one type of apple or an other, your guess is as good as mine. View attachment 12202

Last edited:
Uumm, excuse me Mr., those apples appear to be placed there! :)

Uumm, excuse me Mr., those apples appear to be placed there! :)
Its was an old photo from my Archives. So I replaced it! Those darn Squirrels.

Has anyone tried deliberate apple breeding?
I am doing this in my Project W thread. I pollinated a couple columnar varieties with pollen from Goldrush and a couple more columnar varieties with pollen from the maypole crab. I did not track them well to know which apples I pollinated and which apples were open pollinated. The 26 seeds I collected last fall are now started indoors. Those will be planted out and evaluated for columnar growth, disease, and fruiting. I am undecided how much I really care about tracking the pollen and seed parents. Beyond using pollen from disease resistant apples, I may just plant and evaluate without keeping detailed records. In the end, the parents don't matter to me. Either it is a good columnar apple tree or it gets removed.

Sounds like a worthy project. I remember from something I read back in the 90's a write-up about the Minn. Research Breeding Team under the supervision of David Bedford where the Minn Variety Honeycrisp was cross pollenated in a controlled green house environment. Even under such controlled conditions there is still to this day uncertainty as to the parentage of the famed Honeycrisp apple.

Here is a great read explaining:

"Records and public releases from the University of Minnesota from 1991 to the present have identified the parentage of Honeycrisp as the cross 'Macoun' x 'Honeygold'. But recently completed DNA testing has determined that neither Macoun nor Honeygold are parents of Honeycrisp.
The testing determined for certain that Keepsake, another apple from the University of Minnesota's apple breeding program that was released in 1978, is one of the parents. But, despite extensive searching, the other parent has not been identified. There is no DNA match among any of the varieties that are thought to be possible parents."

Here is another great read explaining seed parentage:

Michael Pollan, the author of "Botany of Desire," gave an interview on NPR in which he said,
"...what happens when you plant apples from seed is you get all different kinds of apples. Every single seed in an apple produces a different variety, most of which are useless. However, apples grown from seed are perfectly good for making cider."

I hope this provides some insights into what to expect growing from seeds and the challenges of identifying, "Who are my parents?".

Has anyone tried deliberate apple breeding? There is a field method tried by a guy on facebook who once went by the handle of Turkey Song.

I tried last year, but frost got all of the blossoms.

I believe there is a guy that goes by "Skilcut" on Youtube. He is doing a lot of apple breeding on his little farm. I plan to do some in the coming years, just having a hard time coming up with the time to do it right now.

I'll let you guys figure out how to cross apples and I'll just buy them from a nursery when you find a keeper and start selling them!

I believe there is a guy that goes by "Skilcut" on Youtube. He is doing a lot of apple breeding on his little farm. I plan to do some in the coming years, just having a hard time coming up with the time to do it right now.
That is probably him. He changed his handle.

Apple man, Is the Franklin cider tree still holding apples now on your farm? If so got any pics?

Apple man, Is the Franklin cider tree still holding apples now on your farm? If so got any pics?
Yes, as a matter of fact there is still fruit on the tree. I have a video I did last week which tried to download to the forum but for some reason it will not load. It shows deer trails and lots of tracks under the tree, just 24 hrs after a fresh snowfall. There is still fruit hanging in the upper canopy, what was left after our early October harvest. What is important to note, this is the only wild tree of hundreds on our property that still has hanging fruit. From October to February, the telltale sign of many visits in the mud and snow is testimony enough for me to plant 25 this spring.

Yes, as a matter of fact there is still fruit on the tree. I have a video I did last week which tried to download to the forum but for some reason it will not load. It shows deer trails and lots of tracks under the tree, just 24 hrs after a fresh snowfall. There is still fruit hanging in the upper canopy, what was left after our early October harvest. What is important to note, this is the only wild tree of hundreds on our property that still has hanging fruit. From October to February, the telltale sign of many visits in the mud and snow is testimony enough for me to plant 25 this spring.

Awesome! Well if you do get back out there I would love to see a pic. I ordered 2 from Cummin's, looking forward to see how they do growing in my sand pit! Thanks for all the info about this one.

I couldn't locate any Franklin apple trees except Stark, and they are only selling wholesale now. Cummins told me they were out of Franklin for this year.

The availability of the Franklin Cider was very limited for this year because Stark was just getting started and time was need to grow available bud wood. The nursery has still available for 2018 on b118 around 3500 trees but will quickly be sold to Cider makers. Many more trees are available on more dwarfing rootstock less suitable for wildlife projects.

@Appleman, the response to @CrazyEd made me a little curious. The video of shaking the tree showed it doesn't necessarily grip on to its fruit. Just am somewhat surprised a tree that drops that easily hasn't lost all its fruit to wind. Is this a normal occurrence for this tree to hold this late or is it a product of the mild winter?

Odd but true. The tree will give up apples with a high wind while at the same time retain much of the crop. As viewed in the video, one can see shaking of the limbs applies more torque allowing the apples to drop more freely. I just did a video showing apples still on the tree in February and many deer tracks leading to the Franklin. The Franklin is the only one tree on our property with hanging fruit.

Odd but true. The tree will give up apples with a high wind while at the same time retain much of the crop. As viewed in the video, one can see shaking of the limbs applies more torque allowing the apples to drop more freely. I just did a video showing apples still on the tree in February and many deer tracks leading to the Franklin. The Franklin is the only one tree on our property with hanging fruit.

Very nice thanks for the reply Bill, looking forward to the video.