Certified Prescribed Burn Course

WeedyJ

5 year old buck +
So I took the Prescribed Burn Certification course through GA Forestry Commission over the last 2 days. Really interesting and gives me a lot more understanding of how to use the weather, manage the smoke, and plan ahead. Most of my burns have been small, and will still be mostly under 20-40 acres in a day, but feel WAY better prepared to tackle future burns. Common sense and some luck has kept me out of trouble so far!

So I took the Prescribed Burn Certification course through GA Forestry Commission over the last 2 days. Really interesting and gives me a lot more understanding of how to use the weather, manage the smoke, and plan ahead. Most of my burns have been small, and will still be mostly under 20-40 acres in a day, but feel WAY better prepared to tackle future burns. Common sense and some luck has kept me out of trouble so far!

Congrats! Our burner class is 4-days long and it is in the fall when I'm busy, so I haven't taken it yet. I figure when I retire I'll have more time.

I know other models are out there, but GFC has designed a web based smoke predictor. I just click on my farm on the map, and it ask me to fill in some info. It then shoots a model showing smoke path and dispersion based on the danger levels of the smoke concentration. I can play with parameters to see how to best mitigate smoke. That way, I can pick burn days on those parameters.

Jealous. The only thing ky encourages burning is meth labs and 92 Astro vans

If we don't get rain in kansas soon we will have everything burnt up by spring,We had one the other day that went a mile before we got it shut down

I know other models are out there, but GFC has designed a web based smoke predictor. I just click on my farm on the map, and it ask me to fill in some info. It then shoots a model showing smoke path and dispersion based on the danger levels of the smoke concentration. I can play with parameters to see how to best mitigate smoke. That way, I can pick burn days on those parameters.
That is very cool!

……. I figure when I retire I'll have more time.
Shortly after retirement you will have less time. Cannot explain it, but trust me, it’s true.

Shortly after retirement you will have less time. Cannot explain it, but trust me, it’s true.
HA! Good thing I plan on never retiring!

Ya, I was afraid of that...

Weedy - As soon as I retire the first thing I'm going to do is attend a prescribed fire course from the GFC. I use them to burn our pines but want to do it myself in smaller units. Now, I burn the whole pine stand and at the mercy of the GFC schedule.

Weedy - As soon as I retire the first thing I'm going to do is attend a prescribed fire course from the GFC. I use them to burn our pines but want to do it myself in smaller units. Now, I burn the whole pine stand and at the mercy of the GFC schedule.
I think that would be a great thing for you. I don't have a ton of pines, and as soon as I can arrange it, I will have even fewer! Almost the entire course was referencing burning in forested stands, with 90% discussing pine stands. Obviously, there are other considerations when trying to save trees instead of just setting back or establishing earl successional fields and bedding cover.

One interesting thing to note was that a couple of pine guys, one from Crawfordville, said the mills don't want tress with black bark at the base, which would eliminate burning. They strip the bark to sell as mulch, so they don't want black bark. The loggers were cutting off the bottom 4 feet of the tree and leaving it behind for him to get rid of. That's a LOT of tonnage left behind! If it was pole timber, they did leave it intact. Others echoed his experience.