All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central leader advice verified - Thanks

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
I have to say thanks to the apple tree folks on here for the advice and pix of how to deal with a young tree's leader. Someone posted pix of how they strip the leaves downward from the top terminal shoot for about 6 or 8 inches. This was explained as a good way to get upward growth of the central leader. I don't remember who posted the pix or who gave advice on how it works ( may be several people on here ), but it works.

I did as advised and this summer so far I've seen an average of 18" of upward growth of the leaders. The trees are 2 and 3 yrs. in the ground. And the summer isn't over yet !! All I know is - the trees are getting taller and shaping up for a good future. Thanks again to all you guys for the many great tips. Many contribute here ........ and we all benefit !!:):cool:

CrazyEd and Maya have lots of posts on this topic and CE has posted this picture a couple of times (sorry for the link to the dark side): https://www.qdma.com/forums/showpost.php?p=591744&postcount=6

And you're right, following their advice re: pinching really does wonders to direct the tree's growth where you want it!