Centennial Crab

greyphase

5 year old buck +
I'm munching on my Centennial Crabs every day:). One of the best tasting crabs..... at least to me.
8-14-14029_zps3a741cf3.jpg

8-14-14027_zps266b8866.jpg

Got a couple Chestnut crabs in the nursery to see if they give the Centennial some competition in the taste department. Anybody have a Kerr crab??? How do they rate for fresh eating?

Rick

I've never had a centennial, but I am a big fan of chestnut crabs.

That's a nice size apple! I planted a couple of Centennials and Chestnuts this year. Don't have any Kerr, but ordered a few Hewes crabs for next year (to make cider). Thank for posting the photo's...;)....Looking Good!

That's a great looking tree Grey; when did you plant it and what is the rootstock?

I planted Dolgo, Centennial, Chestnut, Geneva, Kerr, Hewes and Golden Hornet this year. I'm really looking forward to being able to compare them in a few years!

I got a graft of centennial to take this spring.

Any CAR on centennial?

I had some whitneys from a customers tree, yesterday and I did garb a slightly pink chestnut from my own tree this last week. Dolgos are turning red.

That's a great looking tree Grey; when did you plant it and what is the rootstock?

I planted Dolgo, Centennial, Chestnut, Geneva, Kerr, Hewes and Golden Hornet this year. I'm really looking forward to being able to compare them in a few years!

It was planted in the mid-90's from Fedco nursery, probably on Antovovka rootstock.

Nice looking crab, Grey. I wish the edible crabs at camp were old enough to produce. Maybe a few " firsts " next year. We have a Centennial too, on Antonovka - 2 yrs. in the ground. Has yours been relatively easy to grow? Did you prune/train it or let it grow?

I got a graft of centennial to take this spring.

Any CAR on centennial?

I had some whitneys from a customers tree, yesterday and I did garb a slightly pink chestnut from my own tree this last week. Dolgos are turning red.
Bur
No CAR on my Centennial. My Dolgo have dropped about 1/3 of it's crop so far.

Nice looking crab, Grey. I wish the edible crabs at camp were old enough to produce. Maybe a few " firsts " next year. We have a Centennial too, on Antonovka - 2 yrs. in the ground. Has yours been relatively easy to grow? Did you prune/train it or let it grow?

Hey BnB

I'm ashamed to say that I've done very little to my Centennial. Last winter I pruned it for the first time with my Silky pole saw to open up the center of the tree. It has been a pretty carefree tree with just some insect damage each year.

I just wondered because once the crabs at camp get a bit bigger, they won't be " cash-crop pruned " each year. They're to feed game and after next spring we'll have about 20 crabs total. ( named varieties ). We also have un-named ones - 5/8" fruit type - we got from Game Commission about 18 yrs. ago. We rarely prune them & they put on loads of fruit each year. Do you have any other " eating " crabs?

I just wondered because once the crabs at camp get a bit bigger, they won't be " cash-crop pruned " each year. They're to feed game and after next spring we'll have about 20 crabs total. ( named varieties ). We also have un-named ones - 5/8" fruit type - we got from Game Commission about 18 yrs. ago. We rarely prune them & they put on loads of fruit each year. Do you have any other " eating " crabs?

I have a Chestnut crab planted years ago in a very poor location (not enough sunlight). I've only gotten a few apples from it and use it mainly for collecting scionwood. I've been wading through the USDA GRIN website looking for crabs. I've found a few that peaked my interest and hope to obtain scionwood from them next spring. Here's a "Sweet Crab" from the Pa. game commission that's about 8 years old and loaded with fruit this year.
8-15-14009_zpsaff2c090.jpg

8-15-14011_zps66249c8b.jpg

Nice looking batch of fruit. Gotta believe they'll get eaten by something.

When do your Dolgos ripen sandbur? I've got a few on my tree that are starting to turn red.
Usually about Labor Day. Some of mine are also turning red.

I talked to a farmer today who lives about 50 miles sw of me and his tree is a few days ahead of mine. His is dropping fruit from the drought.

Usually about Labor Day. Some of mine are also turning red.

I talked to a farmer today who lives about 50 miles sw of me and his tree is a few days ahead of mine. His is dropping fruit from the drought.
Dolgo is the best jelly and applesauce crab in my mind.

Chestnut is not bad either.
I want to try centennial.

Last edited:
Is this crab a Minnesota candidate??

There would be cedars on this farm ... close .

I have 3 of these coming from Cummins along with wickson, dolgo, and chestnut.

I had some really nice centennial crabs 2 seasons ago. 1 season ago the coons cleaned off my tree and this year we lost them all to frost.

5grX1wUMkqw9qc_PjRlOkJz87Tnwxa9OcgQoNfCWF8SnqCa9m2U9urTXeWR6LfO49cbojU9ueYke2DH_waP4w778WFsdqpOoplCrfp8Pyk7mDXWcPnpLzf4ZHZ5YQIU-1faUgje1YPt_ep77rICUkPMlPc70qYF3MbsHHqCM5UnEHgVyAkhCH43gu9DjCYyCexWfDVMalEw4NoSGTWcRMIXkQE3eyLk7usI6WDKZoy2Cu58P1FZStEhOoF3EBKGRsrthL7Y0Nh9yPWxYlLbLJh0r0CPI35K_4-mAGf8O7afudfqDL0hj_qSkUBA7Cac29odjyd0vWK7LrZqhO4RaLQ1ZHKTX5xv7tbFRIEdH57xnytCgznccgdtv5-L74_vZsw9iIT6GfrqHutjn9_JoHlry2HTDN1y0trBETHy_nUcNuE_3plzZ6oZ5nHyB8n3a8TZopygWf5jlvJELotZitNO1N0_SvR4kZ1mDQDvzaK6D9-f5JxMFFUsJXD3oJwZqHqKkr3IK4_ZOnhngJ4-JJUFKdO4W1yEGTy5rfAhyDBtxFLUY18AWXeby3DGn9Zm7OQh1L4n59WS1BPUA9DcQcTNEdowAKg_r_cTdRqnz-d9PcDAdQXCkTw=w675-h900-no

l6I21FVYZjT8E0JTwD0CzZxD86lsvpUCMbpFPB8Lk49wy47o1CKJIj5sXCw6vLEymtZBO3j431_cjiX-D9kGPQ9r5jP1yYY8-3S10ficrDVQjqi1ztIwLwNa_1Q_seWVY2FF1WUEK2zShlQDsoVFtRffQ41f5rK0e-kdeIWJjNQWo_bOSWddYtnA2M_-F3XFcENs3E0Pf_BhYZe6yy-m3QaGc9UW3WoMGbtc-e7zfKWBShiuEb6D1vPBvvwKDeMcNoRpMBClMPfDFOQCtMNRU-cujL_8f4L9FOJQ19PvRcSzGP1j_dRGCZT9EzqqxJFyuRlQ2Dh51UXZpUZNO4SJ1_SsjwPtIA0_bz1__A5JuRUk3HnwYgYix2Eg9xfmNjG47TIfmo5-Ao_gGaiH0A0y-dlHziKZrfV0BGvI3sjr2VfpnF1wuCKyGYxViseL7TSYd8sMbGMLTIg3bo0iUJRoUqRqrLMECGbqc0QO3z95w-1L3A1TWYtl_xP8rqnT9Pma45R2uaUJuQkOpUjIKNBDWcpshfN-zh8drW5KH-mUHc8AqsYDKs46sQQdNJk9t18cCLk_FTJZAKou4umhTHoLDkBudaUdF_bcOLCWXmJOoFgtz8IcgRdOIQ=w675-h900-no

Nice sized fruit for what was a 4 year old tree at the time. B118 root.
Y3D7WN7hqJW_IuWEOkjywRFaiZ9drTJ_SpWU3-MkYSF6uq-mSEcWRi1ihwlL9_ii8suE9yzNyZTxf8jgBBMmrSqHfBVtUCT7Ik1gJ6XEQjB-hbs_w1yTaPuOrw1Hdx9fvfnFLjmNSAsRMfA6wg98xKodGoDBY9JtS7kdyGJ8jfmOOhiUj1DUTRroxmaRucQ-E4hL50FHzGgAdIpx1E2ti423PtAN798KliNAQ2R1LPbG2wMHWDEYAkXAJXVdJVdMkircuDa5o3ZWKWMWAn02cpfjN9Ta73OzLogw4UizdPytdwoDSaHRODjrjcv4Y_6uTKmCp-krVyNbTasn2WiEA-W4HnFFF42Pib5uYqmNlZsplUBf_CWgcgkZFfzuh8PawsIbJovD_hO_rT17zhE57dOQtA__wb-7vH984qH_PGXyRKZ0KX-JW_LGSQAf28P_KbEDMWFPdaamLD6qqUQjgdg-qLAIEetrYvTIGTW6lNSH98QiMtuTsiZbNJawaOTCq5z-yTGba7k65iPi6W5J8i38PQ5XEzrfq38e7vA21Rip7KLjqTcSVmiYRu0rmPUd8NkoajGXCu_IG-hwjZDS1L5hXwSeuZJOsS2Mjdg748Mgc5Z4kXuBEQ=w1200-h900-no

Only had a couple fruits on ours so far, but they're delicious !!

Thanks Stu...I'll be stopping over there, I go through SC quite often.

I did order 2 more chestnut crabs from TC Trees.