Cedar Seedlings

Haus

5 year old buck +
I have cedar seedlings being delivered this weekend for a screen. The weather is in the teens at night and mid 30s for a high this weekend. Can I wait until next weekend to plant when the weather is more favorable? Will the seedlings be ok? Or should I get them in the ground as soon as possible?

The way the weather is I don't think its a rush to plant. You can leave them in an unheated garage and keep them damp and they will be fine for a week or more.

Any specific way to keep them damp?

To keep the roots damp - collect all your seedlings into a bundle, use newspaper and or paper towels and then wrap the roots with that in several layers. Then soak the roots and the wrapping material. Then take some plastic wrap from the kitchen and wrap that firmly and then put that entire thing into a plastic bag and close the top of it. You are simply trying to keep the water from evaporating. This should give you a week or so. If you need more time, remove the bundle from the plastic bag and re-soak and return to the plastic bag. Keep in a cool place out of the sun and you should be fine......just don't forget about them!

Cover roots and keep em damp in a cool dark place

I used an old tub and covered roots in top soil and added water

They will be fine

bill

Probably be fine in a garage but don't let the roots freeze - you noted lows in the teens coming up.