Cattle and Fruit Trees

blueKYstream

5 year old buck +
In the Spring of 2018, I planted chestnuts and persimmons with tubes on a farm with cattle and an adjoining farm without. I didn't have many issues at all with the cattle then. They may have taken out a few trees using the tubes as a scratcher or whatnot but nothing too bad. Fast forward to this Spring when I planted some pear trees on said farms. Well, they haven't been rotated to one of the fields yet. The other field they are currently in, they basically tore down the fence and ate all the leaves off the top of the tree. They've left the leaves inside the aluminum screen, except one screen they tossed off the tree (pic 2 & 4). Fortunately, they haven't eaten anything off the leader.

I can't do much about the cattle. It's a farm my dad's owned for 25 years and they are there for the tax write-off. I thought everything was good, so I ordered some pear and apples to plant this Fall. Well, now I know I need to find a fencing solution for not only these but the ones I'll be planting. Until I find a solution and have more time, I had to throw some tubes on. It's not ideal, but it's a stopgap that's worked to keep the cattle from browsing the other trees. Do you think stiffer concrete remesh will keep the cattle out?

Photo Sep 08, 2 43 04 PM.jpg
Photo Sep 08, 2 46 17 PM.jpg
Photo Sep 08, 2 43 08 PM.jpg
Photo Sep 08, 2 46 29 PM.jpg

I'd build sturdy wood fences around them.

Concrete mesh should definitely be better than the fencing you used, but when a cow starting using their weight it takes a lot to stop them. :(. And you need bigger cages than what I see you used. Any chance you can fence off a section with electric fence and a solar fencer to discourage them?

It would be tough to do wooden posts. I live 60 miles away and a friend/partner that cuts hay and looks after the cattle already wants to kill me for planting some of the trees in the field. I haven't yet even told him about the next batch :emoji_head_bandage:. If I put a fence around all of the fences, I'd surely start WWIII. I might be able to do an electric fence if it could stay out of the way. I imagine the cattle would break the connections between each individual fence if I did it that way though. Hmm...

I used 15' lengths with the woven wire, but it's only 4' tall. On the farm without cattle, I used the remesh, so I didn't have to drive posts and to see the fence/trees easier in the native grass fields when mowing hay. I wish I had went the opposite route now. I haven't seen the cows do it, but I'm thinking their head is at or above above the 4' fence so they just basically reach over the fence when they see leaves on the trees. When they realize the fence will move with their weight, they keep on snacking. Strangely, they left one of the trees completely alone in the field above.

I'm thinking the mesh will help get them grow until they are above the cage. At that point, I'm not sure what will happen. Would mesh be better than a higher gauge fence? I don't have much experience with fencing.

Location 2 with cattle
IMG_3343.JPG
A spot on an adjoining farm with no cattle that I used remeshIMG_3341.JPG

IMG_3340.JPG

Cows, pigs, horses and the like can quickly figure out how to use their weight to get what they want. You need to essentially build a wood cage either larger in diameter or taller in height or both and fasten the wire fencing to it as best you can. If the cows can reach the trees they will continue to eat them. I would build a substantial wood frame and use your "T" post to keep it in position.

I'd put wood pallets over the metal fence posts and wire the ends of the pallets together. You could try 3 pallets and make the shape of a triangle around the tree.treeprotection.JPG

Last edited:
Those are some good suggestions! Thanks! BenAllgood did you create those because you have livestock?

Those are some good suggestions! Thanks! BenAllgood did you create those because you have livestock?
No. I remembered seeing them before on the internet.

Once cattle learn how to get to the good stuff, it's going to be VERY difficult to keep them out. They remember well and are destructive!

I would consider an electric fence around your orchard if it's spaced in a way that you can do that. Unfortunately the herd needs e-fence training for it to be effective, otherwise they'll just walk through it too.

If you have to stick with just cages I would make them plenty tall enough that they can't get their nose over the top. A cow will belly down anything that she can get her nose over. Pin them to the ground very solid (maybe make some rebar stakes and plant them down in four spots). Keep your t-posts for added rigidity. etc.

Use concrete remesh and go six or seven feet high with four T posts wired on good tall and deep around them.

Use concrete remesh and go six or seven feet high with four T posts wired on good tall and deep around them.

That was my first thought as well. I just picked up 36 6' t-posts last week that I delivered to the farm right before I found out about this situation. I'd really like to have 7' posts though now.

Put a strand of barbed wire around the top of the cage as insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats a good idea too^^^^^^^^^^^^

Back in the 1980s, my uncle and cousins tried to plant trees at my grandmother's using various methods of protection. They were unsuccessful. They could protect the trees for a few days or a few years, but eventually the cows won. All efforts are almost doomed to failure because you are looking at protecting the tree for 20-30 years or until you get rid of the cattle. With that being said, check out Arbor Shield or something similar. You might be able to make something similar with remesh to test and see if it works before buying the Arbor Shields.

Cows have been on my ____ list ever since the day one dented the door of my 67 Mustang.

Seriously, they could tear up an anvil...………...

Haha, like a herd of buffalo

I've seen cattle reach through barbed wire to get grass and it was like they were scratching their neck. Still, it seems like it might work if the the top strand is on a fence that's tall and wide enough as the tree grows. I worry if the fence underneath it won't work though, the barbed wire won't either.

The arbor shield looks like a nice option. It's expensive but if it works, it might be worth the price. Not many places sell it but the reviews are good. It seems like it would work until the tree gets out of the shield then it might get picked off. Maybe it can be slid up the rebar though. Hmm...

I was hoping the consensus was that the 5' concrete remesh would work, but now I'm not sure which way to proceed. I know tubes aren't the best for fruit trees. However, it seems to hide the tree or prevent them from smelling it (either that or they aren't interested in the chestnuts and persimmons I've tubed). I feel like that with fencing could buy me some time with the trees until the central leader grows high enough. I'm a bit concerned if the fruit trees will make it through that humid/hot environment of a tube. Those were some good suggestions. I guess I'm going to have to think some more on it, because I'm not sure which way to go with it.

A loop of wire around the top is likely to become a tangle hazard and a recipe for hardship. They won't care one bit about barbed wire. High and sturdy is best in my opinion. Don't let them have a a single leaf or they'll push and smash until they finish getting what they want.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Make them into burger and have fresh apple pie for desert!

There is a super expensive solution but it is cheaper in the long run. Ultimately, you have to keep cattle off a tree FOREVER since, as the tree gets bigger and develops a crown, the cows want sun protection (shade and scratching). If the cows can get within the drip line when you have heavy rains, soil compaction will become a real problem since most of the fine roots that pick up water and nutrients are located within the top 18-20 inches of the soil column. I saw large cows kill 14 Bur Oaks that each were over 100 years old. Cattle/hog panels (might be able to cut 2 16' panels in half) used to create a 4 sided box (8' sides) anchored with 7' steel T-posts driven well into the ground should keep them off a tree. Problem is …. you'll have $75 or more in protecting each tree. Start slow, do a few trees each year and try to get your father involved so he understands the problem. Your cattle owner could install loafing sheds but I'd be surprised if s/he wanted to incur the cost. Cattlemen like grass (pasture) … it's that simple. I go round & round with one on a farm I'm involved with. Good luck; I hope you find a workable solution to your problem. Attached are photos of wood fences (1st one wasn't finished) I constructed to protect a conifer from rubbing (deer and cattle).wood cageIMG_2317.JPGrsz_norway_spruce_wood_fence.jpg
bKYs said …. "I used 15' lengths (very small diameter) with the woven wire, but it's only 4' tall. On the farm without cattle, I used the remesh, so I didn't have to drive posts and to see the fence/trees easier in the native grass fields when mowing hay. I wish I had went the opposite route now. I haven't seen the cows do it, but I'm thinking their head is at or above above the 4' fence so they just basically reach over the fence when they see leaves on the trees. When they realize the fence will move with their weight, they keep on snacking. Strangely, they left one of the trees completely alone in the field above."

Another option - cheaper perhaps - is to use remesh; BUT with a diameter much larger than the 5' diameter you used above … you got to keep them off the tree. Try one with 8-10' diameter … ya I know 30 foot of wire; it will remain as long as the cows are present with whatever number of steel T-posts it takes to secure it. Raise it 6 inches off the ground as you secure it to the post(s) for added height (and you will need trunk protection).
Is the following an option? I would probably experiment; for example, cattle shuffle along without raising their feet very high .... what if you tried steel T-posts with No 9 wire securely attached in a circle about 24 inches off the ground. Don't know ... maybe they would walk right through it. I know little about the capabilities of large cows.

Catscratch works with cattle; perhaps he could advise you on the feasibility of either of these solutions.

Last edited: