Caterpillars!

Telemark

5 year old buck +
20180603_122631.jpg

:emoji_angry:

How do i get rid if them? Is there a chemical spray?

I use sevin to knock them back, break the tent open to ensure good coverage if u can reach them.

The only good worm is a dead worm. Any insecticide for fruit trees will kill the fast.

Looks like Rural King has some cheap fruit tree spray. Lots of reviews for Sevin said it killed their garden.

Any way to prevent them? A friend of mine said to wrap aluminum foil around the trunk.

Sevin kills em dead when they eat the residue of the chemical on the leaves. It is very effective and does not harm plants at all. It's a cholinesterase Inhibitor which blocks muscles from functioning; it has no effect on plants.

I've had some apples wilt after spraying but that was from spraying when it was 90 degrees and had nothing to do with the Sevin.

I use the Bonide products and they work very well.

I purchased 4 bottles of Bonide a couple years ago so my label looks different than this one but if you search their products you should able to find one that works for tent caterpillars.

The best way I have found to kill them is to catch them in the early morning when its cool, they will all be in the nest and not spread around the tree.

https://www.amazon.com/Bonide-Produ...82794&sr=8-1&keywords=bonide+fruit+tree+spray

I put foil around the trunks for now. It will be a week til i can get insecticide.

20180603_095940.jpg

I used a little diesel fuel in a spray bottle that I keep for killing paper wasps- cats balled up and slid off the tree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I found one yes one on a Goldrush tree when I was out spraying yesterday. Gives me the Heebies. Now where did he come from? Where’s your nest? Imidan to the rescue hopefully.

No nests on any of my trees but I've found 1 or 2 caterpillars on about 6 of my trees. I just knocked them off and squished them rather than spraying.

I've sprayed them with ant/roach spray and hornet spray and both worked right away. Best to spray the tent after dark if possible, so all the cats are back in the tent for the night, - or at first light before they crawl out to forage. You can also just pull the tent out of the tree & step on it, if it's within reach.

I had them bad a couple of years ago and posted on this forum for a solution. One reader suggested 12 gauge shotgun blasts with a full choke directly at their nests you'll see in the trees surrounding your orchards. This blows a hole in their nest and the local bird population does the rest of the work.

It was fun doing the shooting and, amazingly, I've had zero problems with caterpillars since.

Man I hate those things! By the time I usually see them it's to late and the tree they are on is toast. I've had the most trouble with them in my yard at home, they killed a beautiful quaking aspen I had that would just shimmer in the slightest breeze.

Here’s some caterpillars I like though-
7e58bc9b1eadd9b39ba8e5d306c03f6b.jpg

They are horn worms like what I’ll cuss on my tomatoes and peppers but they only feed on this one tree specie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^ Is that catalpa ??

Yep, looks like catalpa to me.

Yeah! Catalpa worms! Grab those suckers and freeze them. We used to use those as fishing bait on Ohio.

I like the 12 gauge suggestion and just might try that on my land for the higher tents that I can not reach. For ones that I can reach, I just cut the off the branch they are on and put them in a 5 gallon bucket. When I am done for the day, I start a nice hot fire in my burn barrel. The caterpillar cocoons are added to the top of the fire. That is how I get rid of them. I guess I have a little pyromaniac in me.

Yeah! Catalpa worms! Grab those suckers and freeze them. We used to use those as fishing bait on Ohio.

That’s the plan. I put out 3 just for the worms.

propane torch does a fine burn if you can reach the nest