Carry Permit could turn you into illegal. Beware.

foggy

5 year old buck +
I recently bought a Ruger SP101 with 4" barrel, in 38/357 cal. Nice guns. Mostly want it for a trail gun and to hone my shooting skills with a small "belt gun".

So when I went to buy the pistol.....I then became aware that my MN permit had expired three months ago and I could not make the transaction. I didn't get a notice of this (they don't send one), and it was technically illegal for me to carry a consealed gun via the MN license.

I have had a MN permit to carry....and the Utah permit to carry. Utah sent me a renewal notice which I did renew.....so, with the reciprocity I am legal in MN to carry by the Utah license, but not to purchase (which requires the MN permit).

Being that MN does not send our a notice.....I inadvertently let the carry licensee lapse. Now I gotta take the new course again (or simply rely on my current Utah permit to carry) if I want to BUY handguns (or have a MN sheriff permit).

MN sends out notices for any other type of license renewal.....why not the carry permit?? It would be easy to technically become a crook. Be aware!

Mine expired without my knowledge as well.

Regardless, you still need to retake the full course to get a renewal, even if you were to do it while the permit was still valid. At least that's my understanding.

^ Yep. I guess you have thirty days after lapse to get a new license. I may just let my MN license go.....and rely on the Utah permit. It is more widely accepted for carry purposes. I just have to get a (free) permit from the sheriff occasionally, if I want to purchase. The no-waiting to purchase (gun show bargains or auctions) was/is one of the benefits of the MN permit.

WI is a 5 year license, the carry permit is to new to WI to know if they send notices or not. I'll have to set a reminder somewhere to get mine renewed.

I get to carry and buy without any permit. AZ is awesome for gun rights!

Letting it lapse still doesn't make you a crook, you're just "undocumented." :D

IMO, permits are unconstitutional anyway. (yes, I still get one)

Letting it lapse still doesn't make you a crook, you're just "undocumented." :D

IMO, permits are unconstitutional anyway. (yes, I still get one)
Yep....but try telling that story from inside the grey-bar hotel.

My point is...this is the only lisence that has no notice to renew. By design? I'm getTing more of these conspiracy theory's all the time. o_O

Yep....but try telling that story from inside the grey-bar hotel.

My point is...this is the only lisence that has no notice to renew. By design? I'm getTing more of these conspiracy theory's all the time. o_O

I agree that this is set up to make it difficult to keep your permit.

Remember one thing for this fall, VOTE! Let's skip the politics on this forum, tho.