CAR on new grafts

KylePa

5 year old buck +
Guys just curious if there is anything I can do to this years grafts that are showing heavy signs of CAR in my raised beds at home? I grafted a number of trees early this spring, transplanted outside. I thought that my first year grafts would be okay, I do have a number of cedars nearby. These trees will be going to my cabin either in the fall or early spring so the long term impacts of CAR. Also since these are 2 month old grafts will they even survive? I guess note to myself for next year plant new grafts outside much later than I did this year.

Thanks in advance,
Kyle

You can pluck the leaves off that have CAR.

I had a similar experience with bare-root trees I had planted to pots for their first summer. Of the 6 trees I had in pots, I discovered 3 were susceptible to CAR as they leafed out. The spots appeared on most of the leaves, so plucking them was not an option. However, the 3 infected trees seemed to grow just as well as the clean trees and did not show any signs of long-term harm. I planted all 6 to the camp in the fall and all are thriving now. While the CAR may put some stress on your grafts, I don’t think the CAR will do them in. Good luck!

2017 07-31  Wikson crab show Cedar Rust suseptibility.JPG

CAR does not spread from apple tree leaves to other apple tree leaves so no need in removing them.