CAR and Scab Resistance in NW CT

R.E. Gould

5 year old buck +
I grafted a bunch of varieties with scab resistance and some degree of good CAR resistance for wildlife trees. We're surrounded by cedars laden with galls, so CAR resistance is as important as scab resistance. There are a bunch of the usual suspects, but also some more obscure ones with very good disease resistance. Here are the results so far:

Chestnut
IMG_0678.jpg

Keener Seedling
IMG_0680.jpg

Winecrisp
IMG_0682.jpg

Akane
IMG_0684.jpg

Ides of March
IMG_0686.jpg

Liberty
IMG_0688.jpg

Dolgo (scion from Cummins)
IMG_0691.jpg

Cherry Valley (a roadside tree spotted March 2021 with apples still hanging)
IMG_0693.jpg

South Kent
IMG_0695.jpg

Kerr
IMG_0697.jpg

Kindercrisp
IMG_0699.jpg

Trent
IMG_0701.jpg

Crimsoncrisp
IMG_0703.jpg

Enterprise
IMG_0705.jpg

Zabergau Reinette
IMG_0707.jpg

King David
IMG_0709.jpg

Sundance
IMG_0713.JPG

Florina (no scab or CAR, but mosaic virus it seems)
IMG_0715.jpg

Firecracker
IMG_0719.jpg

Trailman
IMG_0721.JPG

Trent, Akane, and King David are established varieties that appear to be CAR immune that might be worthwhile for others to try out.

Cherry Valley not only appears to be scab immune, but also had an extremely late bud break for me on multiple grafts, so might be good for avoiding late frosts. I think I might have to take a pilgrimage out to the tree a few hundred miles away in the fall to learn more about it, and see what the fruit looks like at a time other than late winter.

Great info R.E. Gould !! Nice pics too. Thanks for posting. Firecracker is a crab, right??

I planted two Keener Seedlings last year disappointing that yours is showing CAR although it must have some resistance.

Great info R.E. Gould !! Nice pics too. Thanks for posting. Firecracker is a crab, right??
Thanks! Yup Firecracker is a crab, with red flesh.

I planted two Keener Seedlings last year disappointing that yours is showing CAR although it must have some resistance.
Yes, its clearly not immune but seems to have good resistance. I neglected to do one of my rust sprays on a Goldrush and a Golden Russet elsewhere, and wow, those leaves got crispy with rust.

Cherry valley, ny?

My antonovka looks like the winecrisp and kent. How bad do you call that? Did not spray fungicide yet....... Doing that tomorrow.

Im not overly new to apple trees, but planting them is new to me. I got about 25 trees well past ther prime at my new house, Got 10 planted in their permanent locations. I got 8 in a nursery spot, will transplant this fall once I knock down the old trees. Got 3 more in pots I am planting at a hunting club buddy's place.

Planting those guys this fall?

Last edited:
This is a really useful CAR lab ya got going there. Seeing is believing and this is far more believable than some hollow claims of resistance. Thanks for passing this along R.E. I am adding to my notes based on your experience. Good stuff - thanks.

Here is NY 414-1

Attachments

• 055676CB-3992-4DE5-8592-36A28C18FEE0.jpeg
    055676CB-3992-4DE5-8592-36A28C18FEE0.jpeg
    338.5 KB · Views: 16
Here is NY 414-1

I put one of these in 7-8 years ago. Decent grower maybe 15' now with a trunk like a softball bat, have never had any issues with any of the usual diseases. Has never been sprayed or had much TLC and has grown fine. It looks to be fruiting good this year I am looking forward to taste testing it.

I put one of these in 7-8 years ago. Decent grower maybe 15' now with a trunk like a softball bat, have never had any issues with any of the usual diseases. Has never been sprayed or had much TLC and has grown fine. It looks to be fruiting good this year I am looking forward to taste testing it.
It looked like it had good DR so I ordered a scion to try it.

Cherry valley, ny?

My antonovka looks like the winecrisp and kent. How bad do you call that? Did not spray fungicide yet....... Doing that tomorrow.

Im not overly new to apple trees, but planting them is new to me. I got about 25 trees well past ther prime at my new house, Got 10 planted in their permanent locations. I got 8 in a nursery spot, will transplant this fall once I knock down the old trees. Got 3 more in pots I am planting at a hunting club buddy's place.

Planting those guys this fall?
Yes sir, that's the spot! I'll be planting these next spring.

What do your Winecrisp look like this time of year? Mine start out looking decent in spring and early June (when you made the first post) but eventually get cedar apple rust horrible. Since I started 22 years ago, I have T-budded well over several hundred rootstocks on our farm with a mix of Galarina, Liberty, Enterprise, NW Greening, Snow Sweet, Williams Pride, Red Free, Honeygold, Winecrisp, and Gold Rush. The Gold Rush and Winecrisp get CAR severely every year. Honeygold are almost as bad. The rest of the varieties I've listed above have little to no sign of CAR every year. I have gone through all my apple trees and removed all the Gold Rush to plant Antonovka seedlings to which I will T-bud disease resistant varieties. I'm considering removing all the Winecrisp as well since they get CAR so badly. I never spray any of my trees and the Galarina, Liberty, Enterprise, NW Greening, Snow Sweet, and Williams Pride are always nice looking foliage and apples and consistently produce much greater quantity of apples than the Winecrisp. Before I removed all the Gold Rush a year ago, during all the years when I had mature Gold Rush trees they had few to no apples and the foliage was always bad looking from CAR. Winecrisp produce a small amount of apples, but the foliage is just as bad as the Gold Rush with CAR and the Winecrisp never produce anywhere near the quantity of fruit compared to the other CAR resistant varieties that I listed above

I guess our camp's remote location is lucky - there aren't any junipers near us, so we don't get any CAR on our Goldrush .............. so far anyway. We only have 1 Winecrisp, and it's done OK, but no prize-winner on growth so far.