Can't have nothing

White Oak

5 year old buck +
A Tornado came through and took out my two best persimmon trees !. No telling how old this big one was , maybe 80-100 years old ?.

Attachments

• PXL_20220527_192928245.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220527_192928245.MP.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 79
I feel your pain. Last year we lost a 200 year old black walnut (and some fence line) and saw our persimmon tree split in two. Technically it was not a tornado, but wind sheer. Its always sad to lose great trees.

Bummer. That looked like a great tree.

I know nothing about persimmon trees. Do they make good firewood? Or lumber?

That sucks!

That does suck.

I agree stand it back up if you can, and if not, ( a large excavator will work) or you can TRY and bury the root ball with some good soil
I did that to a few tree's over the yrs and there still growing,
I will give you having the tree laying down and growing isn;t the best for space, but I managed to save some high producing fruit tree's that were 60-70 yrs old in doing so
so food for thought for you if you wish to try and save it!

and I will just toss this out there, as extra food for thought!
if you have BIG good tree's like this you wish to save from like problems, I highly suggest planting other tree's near it to work as wind breaks ,that help slow winds down, as over my life time I seen many single tree's in the more open get hit hardest when big winds come about, where as like sized tree's with others about them, seemed to survive better! safety in numbers maybe??

OUCH! At least you lost it to nature. I lost mine to a thick-headed dozer operator!

That sucks ... mother nature can be a cruel dance partner.

I seen many single tree's in the more open get hit hardest when big winds come about, where as like sized tree's with others about them, seemed to survive better! safety in numbers maybe??

There's actually a scientific name for his. It's called the Allee Effect. Schools of fish, big flocks of birds, sunflowers growing in fields....the more the better for the safety and survival of the individual.

Take some branches, dig some roots, make some grafts.......

I agree stand it back up if you can, and if not, ( a large excavator will work) or you can TRY and bury the root ball with some good soil
I did that to a few tree's over the yrs and there still growing,
I will give you having the tree laying down and growing isn;t the best for space, but I managed to save some high producing fruit tree's that were 60-70 yrs old in doing so
so food for thought for you if you wish to try and save it!

and I will just toss this out there, as extra food for thought!
if you have BIG good tree's like this you wish to save from like problems, I highly suggest planting other tree's near it to work as wind breaks ,that help slow winds down, as over my life time I seen many single tree's in the more open get hit hardest when big winds come about, where as like sized tree's with others about them, seemed to survive better! safety in numbers maybe??
The trees trunk was snapped from the rootball, can't really be seen in the photo....so no chance of saving it. If the tree fell in the opposite direction it would be on my pole barn, so even if it could be stood up, wouldn't want to take a chance of it falling on my barn, since I got lucky once and it missed it. I'm sure planting other trees for a windbreak no doubt helps for average type storms and wind damage. However it won't do anything if it's in the path of a tornado....Just yesterday I cleared a path to get out into my field and get up to my 10 acre area of woods....it's a disaster huge oaks all uprooted so there was no safety in numbers !. I filmed a video if I can load it onto youtube I'll put it on here

The trees trunk was snapped from the rootball, can't really be seen in the photo....so no chance of saving it. If the tree fell in the opposite direction it would be on my pole barn, so even if it could be stood up, wouldn't want to take a chance of it falling on my barn, since I got lucky once and it missed it. I'm sure planting other trees for a windbreak no doubt helps for average type storms and wind damage. However it won't do anything if it's in the path of a tornado....Just yesterday I cleared a path to get out into my field and get up to my 10 acre area of woods....it's a disaster huge oaks all uprooted so there was no safety in numbers !. I filmed a video if I can load it onto youtube I'll put it on here
Why was it one of your "best" persimmons? Just because of size/age or was it particularly prolific? If it was a particularly prolific tree for its age and size, or if you were eating the persimmons and they were particularly good, I'd follow Bigboreblr's advice and try some grafting. IF it was not a grafted tree, I'd just take root cuttings and try to start new trees from them. I have not tried persimmons, but I was successful propagating jujube grown on their own roots from root cuttings.

Thanks,

Jack

Why was it one of your "best" persimmons? Just because of size/age or was it particularly prolific? If it was a particularly prolific tree for its age and size, or if you were eating the persimmons and they were particularly good, I'd follow Bigboreblr's advice and try some grafting. IF it was not a grafted tree, I'd just take root cuttings and try to start new trees from them. I have not tried persimmons, but I was successful propagating jujube grown on their own roots from root cuttings.

Thanks,

Jack
I never saw or heard of a persimmon tree until moving to VA , I'm originally from up North . The reason I consider it "the best" is because you are right it was large and fully mature and always LOADED and a deer magnet. I have three or four more persimmon trees scattered throughout my property that must of came up on their own , but they nowhere near as big and not as prolific

I never saw or heard of a persimmon tree until moving to VA , I'm originally from up North . The reason I consider it "the best" is because you are right it was large and fully mature and always LOADED and a deer magnet. I have three or four more persimmon trees scattered throughout my property that must of came up on their own , but they nowhere near as big and not as prolific

I'm in central VA myself and have native persimmons growing. My best bang for the buck for fruit trees are persimmon. I find a tree 1" to 3" in diameter that does not produce well. It may be a female that just is not prolific or it may be a male tree that will never produce. I cut them down and bark graft them with scions from prolific trees and trees with different drop times. A bark grafted persimmon in that size range will produce the first fruit in the 3rd leaf after grafting.

If I were you, I would try to save the genetics of that tree if it is a reliable prolific producer. It is the wrong time of year to collect scions. I would take root cuttings if I were you and see if I could get some clones growing. You don't have to wait for them to mature. Once they are large enough to take scions, you can bark graft the scions to other native trees in the 1" to 3" diameter range.

Thanks,

Jack

Persimmon is in the ebony family it was historically used for golf club heads hence the term “Woods” it’s heavy and hard. It’s large sapwood ring will be white, hart wood is typically very small but very black. Grain is not typically attractive to the eye in my opinion it makes for an excellent turning wood. I often will use it to make my own custom wood turning tool handles and turned wood mallets to have laying around my wood shop. Will sand and polish up exceptionally well like most fruitwoods.