Canning bass or sunfish?

SD51555

5 year old buck +
Has anyone ever done it or eaten it? I'm curious what your experiences were.

We used to can carp. It's excellent! My dad makes jerky out of bass. Everybody who tries it loves it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Did you find a mess of sunnies up there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, but you might want to try my recipe for pickled fish shown below:

For this recipe you will need 1.5 pounds of fish fillets that you will cut into chunks. The best fish I have tried are small panfish such as bream or crappie, but black bass or any other non-oily fish will work well too. The chunks need to be in small pieces (about one inch squares or even a little larger is okay) and the thickness of the fillets should be about ½ inch or less. A bream fillet is about the right thickness, and for fish that are too thick you can cut the fillets lengthwise to get them about right.

Mix 6 cups of good clean cold water (distilled is best) with 1.5 cups of pickling salt and place the solution in a glass jar. Stir the solution well, and add the fish chunks. Place in the refrigerator overnight from 12 to 24 hours.

Remove the chunks and rinse them well with cold clean water, and then pat them dry with paper towels. Place the chunks in another glass jar and cover them completely with a good quality distilled vinegar that has an acetic acid content of at least 5%. Refrigerate this for another 12 to 24 hours being sure to stir or shake at least once or twice.

Remove the chunks and once again wash in cold water and pat dry.

At this point the chunks are already pickled, but you now need to flavor them. Mix the following flavoring solution, bring it to a boil, let it cool to room temperature, then cover the chunks with it, and place it in the refrigerator:

½ cup of soft water
¼ cup white sugar
1 tbsp Tabasco sauce
1 cup white vinegar
1 tbsp of plain pickling spices
3 whole cloves
1 tbsp pickling salt

After it sets in the fridge for 5 days it is ready to eat. I like to pat my chunks dry and eat them on a cracker. This should keep in the fridge for 6 to 8 weeks, but in Man-land it will be gone long before that! Enjoy.

Did you find a mess of sunnies up there?

No. I'm just thinking ahead. The lakes by me are filthy with small bass and lots of panfish. I did some googling and youtubing in the middle of the night trying to find out what's out there, and it's not much. I found enough baseline info to give it a shot and start tinkering.

No, but you might want to try my recipe for pickled fish shown below:

For this recipe you will need 1.5 pounds of fish fillets that you will cut into chunks. The best fish I have tried are small panfish such as bream or crappie, but black bass or any other non-oily fish will work well too. The chunks need to be in small pieces (about one inch squares or even a little larger is okay) and the thickness of the fillets should be about ½ inch or less. A bream fillet is about the right thickness, and for fish that are too thick you can cut the fillets lengthwise to get them about right.

Mix 6 cups of good clean cold water (distilled is best) with 1.5 cups of pickling salt and place the solution in a glass jar. Stir the solution well, and add the fish chunks. Place in the refrigerator overnight from 12 to 24 hours.

Remove the chunks and rinse them well with cold clean water, and then pat them dry with paper towels. Place the chunks in another glass jar and cover them completely with a good quality distilled vinegar that has an acetic acid content of at least 5%. Refrigerate this for another 12 to 24 hours being sure to stir or shake at least once or twice.

Remove the chunks and once again wash in cold water and pat dry.

At this point the chunks are already pickled, but you now need to flavor them. Mix the following flavoring solution, bring it to a boil, let it cool to room temperature, then cover the chunks with it, and place it in the refrigerator:

½ cup of soft water
¼ cup white sugar
1 tbsp Tabasco sauce
1 cup white vinegar
1 tbsp of plain pickling spices
3 whole cloves
1 tbsp pickling salt

After it sets in the fridge for 5 days it is ready to eat. I like to pat my chunks dry and eat them on a cracker. This should keep in the fridge for 6 to 8 weeks, but in Man-land it will be gone long before that! Enjoy.
I should have clarified a little more. I'm looking for a recipe that's:

*Main meal - fish tacos, fish sandwiches, fish chowder, fish omelets or whatever
*Plentiful
*Easy to catch
*No freezer
*Long term shelf stable
*Has to be desirable. My benchmark is "Is it so good I won't share with anyone?" If the answer is yes, then it passes.

I get that way about canned bear and canned venison.

I have canned white bass. It was edible but very strong. I used it in place of tuna for sandwiches and such. I ate it but wasn’t worth repeating on those. I am planning on canning some catfish and hopefully maybe that will be better.

Definitely post up results of perch and bass tho as I would do those also if results are good.