Can you seed too heavy for WW or WR

B

BJE80

Is seeding too heavy bad for WW and WR the same as seeding too heavy for brassicas or clover? Or is it just wasted seed?

you'll get some stunting, but it's nothing like brassicas. some brassicas are the worst. It's really just wasting seed that's the primary cost.

Heck, look at what Sturgis posted over on the other forum. If I recall, he's planting 250lbs of oats (50) and rye (100 + 100) he's planting per acre.

On a side note, don't waste your time planting 100 lbs of cereal rye, only to return two weeks later to plant another 100 lbs of cereal rye, so that "reinforcements are ready to take their place as the first planting of cereal rye is eaten" (paraphrasing, but that was his point). Cereal rye doesn't stop growing when it's eaten. It continues to grow, just like grass in your yard. If you want to plant 200 lbs of cereal rye, plant it all at once. There is no tangible advantage to doing it twice.

P.S. Planting stuff like peas first, returning to top seed cereal rye after they've germinated is a good move. It gives the peas a head start...planting 1/2 the cereal rye you want to return later and plant the other 1/2 is what I was referring to that makes no sense at all.

you'll get some stunting, but it's nothing like brassicas. some brassicas are the worst. It's really just wasting seed that's the primary cost.

Heck, look at what Sturgis posted over on the other forum. If I recall, he's planting 250lbs of oats (50) and rye (100 + 100) he's planting per acre.

On a side note, don't waste your time planting 100 lbs of cereal rye, only to return two weeks later to plant another 100 lbs of cereal rye, so that "reinforcements are ready to take their place as the first planting of cereal rye is eaten" (paraphrasing, but that was his point). Cereal rye doesn't stop growing when it's eaten. It continues to grow, just like grass in your yard. If you want to plant 200 lbs of cereal rye, plant it all at once. There is no tangible advantage to doing it twice.

P.S. Planting stuff like peas first, returning to top seed cereal rye after they've germinated is a good move. It gives the peas a head start...planting 1/2 the cereal rye you want to return later and plant the other 1/2 is what I was referring to that makes no sense at all.

If I plant AWP alone first and then follow up with WR, when shoule they go in? Early Aug? (Antigo area)

I have planted peas with the rye usally around Labor day. One year I planted the week before and got a little better growth out of peas. My soybeans were still green so the deer left the peas alone, at least that was my theory. I have found that the more pounds of peas per acre you plant the longer they will last. If I plant peas I try to plant 40 to 50lbs per acre along with my cereal grains. They still are usually all devoured by the end of October. This year may be different with lower deer numbers. I agree with Steve I see no advantage to do a split planting of rye.

BJE, it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I'm frustrated that the peas, brassicas, oats, cereal rye, sunflowers and beans (at this point they'll just be for greenery, unless there is a REALLY late spring) aren't all planted already on a property I manage in C MN (bit further north than where you are). In that case, I want mass tonnage of food production. The plots that will have peas, beans and sunflowers in them I'm going for a candy crop side benefit.

On the flip side, on the properties I will be offering ample nutrition and don't need to worry about those plots helping to provide overwinter nutrition, I won't even start planting until August.

Tom, unless it is going to cost people wasted time, $ or hunting opportunities, I try to keep my big mouth shut. Jeff is trying to scratch out a living in a very competitive industry and it's hard enough without people saying he doesn't know what he's talking about. There are some things he says that just floor me with how wrong they are, though. I don't know if it's because he really believes it (likely from actually doing so little of this himself and mainly just telling others what to do) or if it is his attempt to make himself somehow look different/better. I don't know, but I dang near spit coffee when I read him telling everyone to plant cereal rye twice, 2 weeks apart...another coffee spitter was (backspaced over...I'll just leave it at that)

My goals are to attack deer. My plots are too small to think about feeding deer in winter.

Then I'd shoot for the end of July, early August...The catch is on small plots, the peas may not make it to hunting season no matter what you do, short of fencing it.