All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone ID this plant?

JackTerp

5 year old buck +
I have a thicket of this stuff. It looks like the deer might be browsing on it very slightly, but really hard to tell. I would like to clear the area for part of a planned orchard.

IMG_0829.jpg IMG_0828.jpg

Looks like chinese privet to me. If you have bottomland, eradicate it or it will take over. About 50 years ago privet was planted as a hedge on property i now own. Now the entire creek bottom is over run with privet.

Thanks. You are probably right. I didn't recognize it because it is in an area of heavy shade and I am more familiar with a much bushier plant. This stuff is very different. It looks more like a mountain laurel than a thick bush. I finally found a couple berries on one of the plants and it is the typical dark blue almost black of the privet. Will clean out and treat the stumps. Going to be a long job though as it is wide spread along the dry creek bed.