Camper Question

mtholton

5 year old buck +
I purchased land in Dunn County WI this spring and live in the Twin Cities about an hour away. Long term I'd like to build a permanent structure, but for the the next hunting season or two I am thinking about getting a used trailer to sleep in for one night max at a time during the hunting season. Seems like I could get something water tight for a few grand based on CL? I'd use it then sell it once I built something so I'm guessing if I got a decent deal upfront, I wouldn't be out much money for the short term solution. I don't have electric or water hookup, but could get electric added if that would have a benefit with a trailer?

My question is, anyone have any input on type or style? I don't think I've ever stepped foot into a trailer and not sure what to look for. Just need enough room for a couple of guys to sleep and that's about my only requirement. As I understand it, they don't have much insulation, so some type of heat would be needed/lots of blankets. If I could get some water for a shower that would be a bonus.

If I bought and just parked it I'm assuming I would just register it? Does anyone know if those taxes/fees are pricey?

Thanks as always for the insight.

We used a camper for many years before buying a piece with a structure on it. Water and electric are issues especially in November during WI gun season. We had a shallow well pump but it was too cold to run that 24/7 in November. We sometimes used the onboard fresh water tank (filled by the shallow well on a warm day if we got one). Problem is the low overnight temps. More than once our low point drains froze up. Can't turn the heat off inside if the pump and lines are still full of water. Safest solution most years was no running water. Flush the toilet with rv antifreeze straight from the bottle. Drink beer and other packaged beverages. No shower until you get home.

As for electric. You can heat the place with the onboard propane furnace. Worked well for us as we had electric hookup and two 100 lb propane tanks installed. You will use lots of propane if it's cold. Problem is without electric your furnace fan will quickly run down the 12v battery.

We titled ours but stopped registering it yearly after we stopped traveling with it. Be sure to check with your township. Many now have ordinances restricting and governing campers.

I'm not much help for you....but this brought back some great memories from when I was a kid. My grandparents had (my folks own it now) a 20 acre piece of property that they put a camper on and us kids would spend the night on occasion with grandpa on the weekends during the warmer months. The first one they had was from a converted van from back in the 70's. The second one was a pull type trailer and was much bigger. They served their purpose for what they used them for. We would stay up late and then get up early to either fish or go squirrel hunting or the like. The outdoors in the early morning is a pretty neat place for a kid to be and grandpa pretty much let us have run of the place. Lots and lots of good memories......

They always brought water in from town, but had electric. Gotta watch that though....mice are hell on campers. The last camper burnt down because of an assumed electrical fire.... A guy I know got a hell of a deal on a real nice one that goes in the bed of a pick-up truck. They had a food trailer and do festivals and the like and bought this and got a deal. Campers - are like boats, everybody wants a new one.....not many folks want a used/old one.

If you get a camper and are considering a structure - if you can swing it - consider designing the framework of the structure to cover your camper. Just a roof and support posts will help keep the weather off of the camper and help it last longer. Rain and damp conditions tend to be hard on them.

Campers also tend to not be real secure - and as such tend to have break in problems....and people will steal or damage ANYTHING. Don't keep anything you can't afford to have stolen in them.

Not sure if it will help with what your looking for but,

We went with an Ice Castle for a multi purpose semi permanent dwelling for a few short periods of time.

Provides a nice base to do habitat work out of, a place to stay when the weather turns to crap, 2 beds, a table, oven an stove.

No water, but I used scent wipes during the hunting season. Baby wipe showers can make all the difference during a 4 day stand.
Food becomes a tricky situation after about day 3. But I always just made a trip to town.

Plus, during the offseason, now you have a sweet fishing shack. Or a mobile camper during the summer.

Inspect all caulked joints, especially the roof and for soft spots im floors/walls. If you can find one store inside, that would be best. Ive seen a lot of campers less than 10 yrs old with water leaks and rot. Id also find one with am arched roof. 24' and longer you will likely have a dedicated bedroom. Any shorter and you may be converting tables and sofas to beds. Find out where the water heater drain it and drain them. Just bout a new travel trailer. Sometimes the used stuff isnt worth the headache.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My first year I tried sleeping in my truck ... that was brutal. Then bought a used camper. As stated above about storage and tight seals, winter ice damage can lead to issues also. Also, a mouse can gain entry through a hole the size of a dime. A pair of mice can have a litter of 5-10 mice every 5-6 weeks ... do the math on population explosion in a camper over several months. They will destroy all soft materials (seats, cushions, bedding, etc) and mouse urine smell does nothing for resale value of the camper.

The next few years I stayed at a local cheap motel that had a small cafe next to it for under $65 per night including meals until we built a place. A warm shower, decent bed, and clean toilet seat sure made things more enjoyable.

I'd weigh the cost of a motel for a couple years versus the investment of a camper and it's maintenance.

I had a lengthy response typed out on why this may not be your best option but realized I may have come off sounding like Debbie Downer. So, I will sum up my response in several short sentences:
I am on my 3rd travel trailer now.
Trailers in that price range come with issues.
Water and freezing temps do not work for trailers.
Heat and freezing temps cause a lot of condensation.(rot)
100lbs tank(s) for LP.
It is virtually impossible to keep mice out.
Electricity = YES
Township ordinances.
Consider a tent.
Consider a truck topper,if you don't already have one.
Consider putting that money toward a structure better suited to the environment.

Just to clarify, I do NOT use my trailer for hunting out of.

I sincerely wish you good luck in your decision and congrats on the new property.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the comments. As I said, haven't stepped foot into one, so I learned a lot as usual from the group. Perhaps just sticking to the hour drive for this year are in order and I'll look for a permanent structure next year. Still hoping a nice VRBO farm house pops up, but as it stands, no close lodging:)

I have been using a camper now for several years, it works, but there is downsides. A $3000 camper will get you by for a couple years, and when you resell it, you wont lose much, if any. But I am in a crossroad now, I plan on building in a few years, but I would like to upgrade my camper, is it worth it for me to spend $3000-5000 on a different camper? Right now I pushed it off, and I think I am going to just build a garage, and put a temporary living quarters in it, or build one with an upstairs living quarters and use it as a guest house when family comes over. The wife and I are leaning toward this scenario rather then a newer camper.

As was stated, electricity is definitely a huge plus! I did the first years with just several batteries, then I installed electricity a couple years ago, damn, it sure is nice! We vacation there much more often, and it is much more enjoyable with power, ac, heat, refrigerator, lights with a switch, etc...

We have an Ice Castle and use it year round up in Washburn County. It works well enough. I have power and for $1500 you can get an outhouse with a holding tank built into the concrete platform.
My dad has a travel trailer camper and with the kitchen, bathroom and bunks and it is cramped. The mice always find a way into it as well.
The Ice Castle has a solid floor. It's uninsulated and used to get cold on the feet. We bought reminant carpet from Menards and wear slippers and it's great. With the solid floor I have never had an issue with mice. I removed the gas stove and found a dorm refrigerator fits perfect in the stoves place. We use a microwave and a gas grill to cook. With the open floor plan of the fish house you can fit a couple gravity chairs inside to recline. It's not to bad to relax in.
I built a shower house outside and man up. We also bring my pop up fish house up to clean deer and store gear in.

My brother in law uses a travel camper on his place. Started with just a popup, but then upgraded to a 27 footer, and now to something over 30 ft, brand new too. He'll be building a house there eventually, and already has the garage. Put in electricity a year ago which makes it much nicer. Now he's got a fridge and microwave, not to mention how much nicer that makes it to heat the camper. No running water yet, but has a portapotty rental on site. Company comes out once a month to drain it.

You may just consider building a large enough storage building to put a couple of bunks in.

When he still had the popup he backed it into the garage for November rifle week. Much easier to keep it heated in there.

i would build as large of a shed as your budget allows. get electricity, and insulate it. install an electric baseboard heater and get/build some bunk beds. second hand table and chairs, and your in business. you can always use the shed later for storage.

I might make it "western" and go with a wall tent with woodstove and cots if you're feeling flush.. If you don't want to leave it up for the season and to save a few bucks, plenty of good tents to be had for not a whole lot of cash. Many can be put up in just a few minutes. It's just one night. Put that camper money towards the permanent structure.

I heard enough horror stories about campers and trailers that I just slept in the back of the truck when it was warm out or stayed in a hotel when the weather was cold. I did that for a couple years until I built a cabin and I wouldn't change a thing.

We ended up going with a cabin right away, but you could likely build a low cost garage/shed that could serve as a temporary base camp by throwing an electric heater in there and a few cots. Just don't tell the people at the zoning office that when you apply for a building permit since they will get picky in a hurry if they think anyone will ever sleep in that building. I know the building permit process in Rusk County WI is not much fun, so I bet it is even worse in Dunn County.