California adds Gly to "known to cause cancer" list

Obviously any cancer risk is a serious one. I would be far more concerned about those involved in the manufacture of it or those that have regular/prolonged exposure to it. I wouldn't take a shower in it, but I'm not going to wear a haz-mat suit to be within 50 yards of it either.

My ticker will get me before gly does.

I'm playing the right bower (is that how you spell that?) here.
sd.jpg

Saw in the news about a month ago that areas of land in California has sunk something like 10 feet from all the water that has been pumped out and not replaced. I'm not talking water levels...the earth itself has lowered.

Edit:
First article I googled up

http://www.christiantoday.com/artic...t.leads.to.massive.groundwater.loss/63104.htm

When I worked for a materials company.....we had a "putty tape" manufacturing plant in Texas. They made the best putty tape from long asbestos fibers that were mined in Canada and shipped by rail to Texas. Then they added some butane to them and blended some other things to it in a big mixer and then extruded it onto a crinkled paper strip before rolling it up and boxing it up. Asbestos fibers and dust were EVERYWHERE in the plant - like a flour factory.

The (mostly Mexican) workers all chewed putty tape like bubble gum and many took some home for their family's consumption. I'm told the bee's also liked it and made honey from it......RV's always drew bees at the windows. ;) Asbestos was an important ingredient in many products. Then....the government decided that asbestos causes cancer......and no more mining of the long fibrers.

That "old recipe" putty tape was coveted by many RV builders for a long time.....because the asbestos allowed it to stretch a bit without tearing, etc. Now putty tape is made with "talc" and its finally almost as good as the old stuff.

My point is.......we learned to overcome the shortfalls of a once important ingredient. We can learn to do the same with gly.

Saw in the news about a month ago that areas of land in California has sunk something like 10 feet from all the water that has been pumped out and not replaced. I'm not talking water levels...the earth itself has lowered.

Edit:
First article I googled up

http://www.christiantoday.com/artic...t.leads.to.massive.groundwater.loss/63104.htm
It's only a matter of time before the whole state breaks off and floats into the ocean.

It's not a joke once you are the one with cancer. Based on this information if we continue to use gly then we should be wearing mouth, eye and skin protection while applying it.

What I'd like to know is how to grow a reasonable crop of corn or beans without applying it. I've done it a couple times now and my yield has been pretty low. Maybe if I got a drill and drilled it into winter wheat the result would be better.

When you figure that out, you'd be a rich guy. We either use farm chemicals or go back to the days of field cultivation and hand pulling. If you want to grow ag crops, you don't have a lot of options that I see.

Don't you think Monsanto or Dow (etc) already has a "follow-up" product for Gly in the wings? I'm sure a replacement product will come along that will be better. We learned to live without DDT and Agent Orange.....etc.

Of course they do...but it too will be a chemical. Name a farm chemical you'd be comfortable having your wife, kids, loved ones, etc. handle the way many of us handle gly and others?

Yep....I rest your case. :(

When you figure that out, you'd be a rich guy. We either use farm chemicals or go back to the days of field cultivation and hand pulling. If you want to grow ag crops, you don't have a lot of options that I see.

You can but it's best to plant right after the corn harvest with winter wheat or rye and then turn the field over to alfalfa or clover the next year. Requires having enough land to be able to rotate which many food plotters or farmers for that matter do not.

Let me get this straight... You're married? AND your wife is educated and presumably successful and wealthy?

The only conclusion I can come to is Dipper is hung like an elephant. Life isn't fair.
I know these mn gues have issues, but this just creeps me out. Wieeeerd

What I'd like to know is how to grow a reasonable crop of corn or beans without applying it. I've done it a couple times now and my yield has been pretty low. Maybe if I got a drill and drilled it into winter wheat the result would be better.

You won't in the near future applying herbicide or not. People up here have no clue what is happening with weed control in farm fields across the south. Weeds are developing the ability to adapt to many herbicides on the market now and ones that are coming on the market already.

All anyone wants to do is bitch that herbicide is bad, yet no one has a solution or an answer to the on going problem of feeding the world. Part of that feeding the world is weed control in farm fields. And if someone wants to think one state like california will feed the world, they are only fooling themselves.

check out Monsanto's website. They've got a list of all their pipeline projects.

My Sister-In-Law is one of the corn seed developers, I will just have to tell her she better get going on developing one that has herbicide properties like winter wheat.

My Sister-In-Law is one of the corn seed developers, I will just have to tell her she better get going on developing one that has herbicide properties like winter wheat.

They have them. Lots of developed seed will never be used. Because it will never get approved for over seas sales. There is a huge syngenta lawsuit right now for letting a seed out to farmers that was not approved. It contaminated the pipeline and drove the price of corn down a buck because the corn can not be sold over seas. Its a real mess going forward.

Is world domination on there or is it just implied? :D
They make it look really pleasant though. Before I die, I expect to be mugged at a stop sign by a mutated pigweed.