Cabin monitoring

Mo - We ARE lucky, in many ways.

I hear the power is/was out our way in MO do to the current ice storm. Is yours still on Bill, everyone else?

Funny we just got done taking about this very thing on here.

So far so good. Turned too rain pretty quick out my way. I can still long onto the trail camera computer so I'm good to go..

I use a small pump that is hooked up to the cold water feed of the washing machine. Pink RV antifreeze is pumped in from a 5 gallon bucket until it comes out the open faucets in the kitchen and bathroom. I dump 1 gallon in the washing machine and run a quick spin cycle. The hot water heater is drained. The toilet gets a gallon of the pink and is shut off at the water line valve. Shower head disconnected. I have a separate shut down system for my pond that utilizes an air compressor and a valve system. Shutting down both takes 45-60 minutes.
I run the water for 15 minutes in the spring to flush the pink RV.
I would never leave the heat on during the winter after deer season is done. It just invites trouble.

I use a small pump that is hooked up to the cold water feed of the washing machine. Pink RV antifreeze is pumped in from a 5 gallon bucket until it comes out the open faucets in the kitchen and bathroom. I dump 1 gallon in the washing machine and run a quick spin cycle. The hot water heater is drained. The toilet gets a gallon of the pink and is shut off at the water line valve. Shower head disconnected. I have a separate shut down system for my pond that utilizes an air compressor and a valve system. Shutting down both takes 45-60 minutes.
I run the water for 15 minutes in the spring to flush the pink RV.
I would never leave the heat on during the winter after deer season is done. It just invites trouble.

I never do anything to my washing machine. I bought it off a guy who has been in the appliance business for 50 years. I wasn't going to buy a washer due to the hastle of winterizing. He told me he has stored used washing machines in his unheated warehouse for 50 years and freezing has never damaged any of them. I have had mine in NE MO for 4 years without doing anything to it, and he was telling the truth.

I did not know that about a washing machine. I've had one there for 10 years. Disconnect and blow out the lines. I do dump 1/2 gal of RV antifreeze in it. Just run it once empty when I get back. I will say that other than power outages it only froze solid for the first 4 of those years. I love having a washing machine on site...

I now leave the electric heat on 45-50 degrees. My alarm guy said the motion detectors don't work so well when it gets below freezing, thus the heat.

A gallon of pink RV is $3-4. Putting it in the washer over winter is just cheap insurance IMHO. It can get to minus 20 degrees actual temperature at my location. I would rather do that then find out my washing machine does not work when I need to use it during the WI gun deer season to wash bloody pants.

A gallon of pink RV is $3-4. Putting it in the washer over winter is just cheap insurance IMHO. It can get to minus 20 degrees actual temperature at my location. I would rather do that then find out my washing machine does not work when I need to use it during the WI gun deer season to wash bloody pants.

I agree, do what you need to do to sleep well. I've had mine in North MO for 4-5 winters with no heat on, and no precautions taken. Just walk away from it, with no issues yet.