Buying a new mower

KDdid

5 year old buck +
So I’m in the market for a Bushhog type rotary mower to use on my small acreage (28). I won’t be using it in brush, mainly to mow lanes in my switchgrass and firebreaks, etc.. I’m looking for brand names, pitfalls to avoid, just general info before I pull the trigger. I’m interested in a 6 footer,currently to be used on a 90 horse JD, but I may downsize to a 50 horse tractor in the future. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I run a 10 footer with 65 Hp so hp shouldn't cause you any problems. I traded in a 7 foot 3 point for the 10. The 10 is a pull behind and I really recommend that feature over a 3 point. The 3 points bottom out much easier in hill ground. For smaller mowing I beat the crap out of a swisher 44" trail cutter.

3pt let’s you get in unnavigable spaces more easily as well as trail work in the woods. I have a Woods 3pt mower that I really like. Look at the weights of the various units you’re considering to get an idea on how heavy duty they are built. Look at the hp rating of the gearbox as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a old woods 6ft up at the hunting land and a newer 5ft woods for mowing the horse pastures at home. I love the woods equipment, highly recommended. Both are rear discharge which is a plus.

I’m on gently sloping ground, so bottoming out shouldn’t be too much of an issue. I will be maneuvering around in some tight spots, close to creek banks, so I’ll probably choose 3point over pull type for that reason.

I have run a Land Pride 60 inch mower behind my Kubota 34 HP diesel 4x4 tractor for the last 25 years. My property in Central Wisconsin has a lot of rocks and I have managed to hit just about everyone of them in my fields and food plots. The Land Pride has "taken a licking but keeps on ticking". (Reference to the old Timex watch commercial).
Nothing wrong with Woods equipment in my book.

I destroyed 2 3pt land prides but I'm the first to admit I abuse equipment. Found a old ford 3pt that has held up much better. Spoiled myself last year with a skid steer mower. That thing is great for cutting new areas, I'll still use the 3pt for relaxing mowing of established food plots

I've got a Woods multi-spindle offset cutter that as far as I'm concerned, is the cat's meow. It allows the operator to hydraulically offset the deck left or right to allow mowing along canals, ditches, and tree lines more easily/safely. The semi-mount with dual tailwheels allows me to fly right along with a nice even cut even on any terrain.

Heading to a consignment auction on Saturday, probably about 10 different mowers on the sale bill- some rotary, some flail, and even a DR walk behind brush mower. I’m already telling the wife we really don’t need a vacation this year...

I use a Frontier 60" 3-point behind a JD 3038e. It works great mowing tight spots around tree plantings. Takes me about an hour to mow a couple acres. I had a swisher mower pulled behind a 4-wheeler. Made do with the swisher but would hate to go back to it.