Burning grassland for quail?

Shrub cover is an absolute requirement for quail. No permanent patches of shrubby cover = very poor quail habitat.

That's what I was thinking. I don't have experience with bobwhites, but Gambels quail in Arizona pretty much run from bush to bush, eating seeds they find underneath. I would think bobwhites would benefit greatly from dense shrub thickets where they could hide from foxes and raptors.

I agree on the shrubs and 2 of the best in the midwest can be chickisaw plum and fragrant sumac. Also on the control burn discussion,some counties are different but usually it's by state law.In Kansas you have to notify the Fire department or dispatch and this part may be by county.There are other rules such as no buring after dark,no burning if winds over 15 MPH,no smoke crossing roadways.We are seeing way more liability now than years ago.but we have seen major wrecks caused because of control burn smoke across roads and I have seen up to 600.00 per pasture cedar tree paid out by insurance.Most FD won't come do standbys because if they have to leave for another fire that leaves the fire they started un monitored.Most depts. don't get to excited about the after dark as long as there are plenty of headlights so someone driving by can tell there are people with it.Now days there is really no reason to no know the wind is going to come up or change directions even for the next couple days.

Obviously, the law is different for different locations as far as burning is concerned. One just needs to make sure that all the bases are covered before doing any burning. I have burned off some grassland without any problems and seriously want to burn my woods, but I think that I am just going to pay the forestry department to do a burn. Keeps my liability down and keeps me out of trouble.

I burn my NWSG but not my timber too many softwoods and walnuts.The fire does damage these.If I burn my new area it will be the after noon before very high chance of rain that night.

Kentuckys backwards ass law is that after 2/15 you can only burn from 6pm to 6am. Nothing says safe like allowing us to burn in the dark.

A couple of years ago I set a grass field afire and it got away from me into the woods. I wasn't having any luck putting it out when the local volunteer fire department showed up and helped put the fire out. After everything was done I was thanking the guys for helping and made the comment that I would be looking for a bill from them in the mail. The chief said that that was what I paid taxes for, never got a bill nor heard another word about my fire.

The forestry department here will do controlled burns for $30.00 an acre. Really cheap since they bring their doziers and cut fire lanes before burning then they do the burn. Next time I burn I am calling these guys.

That is a STEAL. Heck, I’d pay that to get the dozed fire lines established and maintain them for my own burns after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kentuckys backwards ass law is that after 2/15 you can only burn from 6pm to 6am. Nothing says safe like allowing us to burn in the dark.
I know we don't have the topography of Kentucky, so the risks aren't the same, but a lot of guys around us burn at night. You can obviously see where the firs is really well, but more importantly the wind is usually very calm overnight. It makes sense here, but when I picture the areas of Kentucky I have been, it seems it would be a nightmare! 😂

I had a resident covey of quail that I would see with regularity and after spraying the blackberry briers in that area of the farm a couple years ago I no longer see them using that area so some dense cover like that helps them out quite a bit I’m convinced. These where brier patches in a mostly open native grass area that hadn’t seen grazing pressure for years since we got rid of the hay burners and pulled the fences. I have replaced all the fences in that area this past year but we haven’t pastured cattle in it yet it’s only 6 acres.

I had a resident covey of quail that I would see with regularity and after spraying the blackberry briers in that area of the farm a couple years ago I no longer see them using that area so some dense cover like that helps them out quite a bit I’m convinced. These where brier patches in a mostly open native grass area that hadn’t seen grazing pressure for years since we got rid of the hay burners and pulled the fences. I have replaced all the fences in that area this past year but we haven’t pastured cattle in it yet it’s only 6 acres.
Quail will definitely use blackberries for cover and will consume the berries. Blackberries can become pretty invasive though in some areas, so being able to control them where needed to keep them in check is important. Deer will browse the new growth as well on blackberries.

I know we don't have the topography of Kentucky, so the risks aren't the same, but a lot of guys around us burn at night. You can obviously see where the firs is really well, but more importantly the wind is usually very calm overnight. It makes sense here, but when I picture the areas of Kentucky I have been, it seems it would be a nightmare! 😂
We can burn fields as long as it’s not 150’ from woods in the day so that means we can burn woods at night. What could go wrong….not to mention the humidity is highest at night so it would never carry. It’s essentially a burn ban on woods.

That is a STEAL. Heck, I’d pay that to get the dozed fire lines established and maintain them for my own burns after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, my thoghts exactly. Pay the forestry guys to doze the fire lanes and do a burn then maintain the fire lanes and do my own burns.

Yep, my thoghts exactly. Pay the forestry guys to doze the fire lanes and do a burn then maintain the fire lanes and do my own burns.
I am going by the forestry department tomorrow and try to get a burn scheduled.

Saw this tonight for you fellow Kansans.

burn workshop.jpg

Saw this tonight for you fellow Kansans.

View attachment 62143

Are they going to record it and put it online, or is it only in person?

I would really like to see a workshop like that. I'm planning to convert some woodland to food plot, and there is a rather thick layer of leaves on the ground there that I would like to burn.

Are they going to record it and put it online, or is it only in person?

I would really like to see a workshop like that. I'm planning to convert some woodland to food plot, and there is a rather thick layer of leaves on the ground there that I would like to burn.
That would be really awesome, if they like put it on u-tube. Then we could see it in Louisiana.

I got a couple more spots around the house done last night. Just putting breaks for now. Some leaves down in the forest.

I don't think I can make the workshop but I'm going to certainly look into it! Thanks for posting!
Screenshot_20240201_202759_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240201_202748_Gallery.jpg

I got a couple more spots around the house done last night. Just putting breaks for now. Some leaves down in the forest.

I don't think I can make the workshop but I'm going to certainly look into it! Thanks for posting!
View attachment 62146View attachment 62147
Wow! Do you stay with the fire all night?

Catscratch, one question:
The leaves burn ok? My forestry guys told me that I would not get a good burn except in the pine needles.

There are a number of free online courses you can take or webinars to watch on prescribed fire for wildlife management. Here are a few links:

There are a number of free online courses you can take or webinars to watch on prescribed fire for wildlife management. Here are a few links:

I wonder if those online courses will get one certified or just give the basics of burning without allowing for any type of certification.
Every once in a while there will be a certification course offered here in Louisiana. I just wonder if that certification would extend to other states. I guess that I will have to check that out.