Building, shop, barn? Ideas?

Catscratch

5 year old buck +
I finally have some money set aside and am ready to build or buy a shop. After quite a bit of research I think I might have it figured out, but want ideas from someone outside of my own head first (experience goes a long ways).

Important things:
Dry storage for tools with a floor for welders and toolboxes on rollers.
Covered storage for machinery and vehicles.

Here is what I have in plan:

40ft shipping container delivered for - $2500
40ft lean-to on each side (I can build for total of $2000)
Gravel and misc - $1000

This gives me 320sqft of weatherproof and lockable storage for tools.
Eight 10ft parking stalls for vehicles, tractors, generator, log splitter, etc.

The site has rock up to the surface that goes 6ft deep (drilling for posts is not feasible).

Anyone see a flaw or have a better idea of how should approach this?

The shipping container is the way to go but put some extra vents in the container. I have made hooks to attach shelves to.

The shipping container is the way to go but put some extra vents in the container. I have made hooks to attach shelves to.
That's kind of what I've been thinking. I can't see another way to store tools and 8 vehicles for anywhere near the same amount of money.
How many vents does a 40ft need?

Have you thought of building a roof over the container. Kind of a big A frame rather than lean to's.
We had some old storage containers at work an they leaked. Mind you they were old and rusty, But this would keep the container dry. Adds expense though.

Your idea sure does get you a lot for storage for the $.

2 vents opposite corners. I love the peace of mind that containers bring me when I don't live on the property.

Bill, I don't want to add expense and to be honest with you... I was thinking of adding a railing to the top for a shooting platform.
I would hope to get one that doesn't leak. If I go through with this I'll check really well before buying. Where did your's leak; a corner, seam, etc.?

Thanks for the info Big Snow.

Ours leaked in the corners but they were rusty.
I'm sure you could use that rubberized truck liner paint from home depot on the roof and be fine.

Have you priced a new (one-trip) container? They're about twice as much around here, but the life span to me would be worth it. Also, if you get one that's half used up already, it'll need to be cleaned up and hauled away some day, which also costs money.

Find one with entry on both ends would be nice for that length.I just used a sawzall and 4 inch angle grinder to cut a couple holes in mine for vents.I wanted to keep them small enough it wasn't an entry point.Also some of them have secure lock covers that can't be cut.I found a site when I was looking at getting my first one and they had lots of things to look for.

The only thing I dont like about mine, I have a 20' one is how narrow they are inside if you are wanting to use it for a work space. Plan on leaving enough space for a walk way and to work on things.

For sure a one tripper for the container

Being narrow is an issue,i don't think you could get a regular vehicle in one and still be able to open the door,That kind of square footage the roof idea may be asomething to think about then in future you could just drag container out and build walls then you have building.

I wouldn't want to park anything inside it, just tool storage for the interior. The lean-to's would provide parking for 8 vehicles.

How long do these things last? I was figuring they were permanent. How much longer would a single use container last than a used one?

Buckdeer, I might try to make a trip over soon to see what yours is like. Seeing in person might make a difference.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I would imagine decades, but if it already has 1-2 under its belt, rust may get busy doing it's thing, and who knows where that'll start and how it's going to impact ya.

I wouldn't want to park anything inside it, just tool storage for the interior. The lean-to's would provide parking for 8 vehicles.

How long do these things last? I was figuring they were permanent. How much longer would a single use container last than a used one?

Buckdeer, I might try to make a trip over soon to see what yours is like. Seeing in person might make a difference.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The one I have is going on 10 years and looks the same as when I got it.

I have one that's over 10 years old and has a little surface rust. Keep in mind they are making buildings out of containers so they should last.

When I hear used, I think worst case scenario. Containers like this are still being offered for sale out there. What I don't know well is how long it takes for them to turn out like this? Maybe it's just a life at sea that does it, and regular water won't eat them quite like this. Who knows?

1.jpg

2.jpg

^^^ that is a lot of rust. I would be pickier than that. Cheap is good, but junk is expensive.

Mine had zero rust on it when I got it.