All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building Foodplots

NWWI

5 year old buck +
I am in the process of creating a food plot on our property. This winter I knocked down and cleared what I could with the trees. I am working on the best plan for dealing with the stumps. The only access to get to the plot is wide enough for a four wheeler. I know getting someone in with a dozer or excavator is the easiest but I really don't want to have to build a huge road. Has anyone had success with using skid steers, mini excavators or even a stump grinder? I am looking for ideas for what has worked for others. The area is only about 1/4 to 1/2 an acre.

How big are the stumps? You can probably get up to 10" stumps with a skid steer.

The majority of the stumps are right around 10". There were a couple of stumps that were pretty wide at ground level but had 5 or 6 eight inch stumps branching of the base.

Depending on size a mini excavator or stump grinder may be in order. Hopefully Foggy will chime in as he has lots of experience with stump grinding.

Myself I went with the big boy toy.

10r.jpg .