Building a raised bed for seedlings.

JackTerp

5 year old buck +
I am thinking of building a raised bed "nursery" for apple tree seedlings. I live in am area of rather high and persistent deer.
They will eat anything that doesn't move. And if it moves too slow it may still be in trouble. :)

I also have a bad back so bending over a lot is not an option.

Would it be safe to use pressure treated wood? I can get concrete blocks easily but thought they might be harder to construct.
What would you experts recommend for a soil? I would like to have it about 30 inches high so I could "build" my own soil and add it in.

Any other considerations I am missing? I am shooting for something about 16 feet long by 3 feet wide. Would that sound like a nice size?

Thanks,

Jack

If u are in the upper Midwest I wouldn't over winter them. The roots will freeze, just like leaving a pot above ground.

You might consider growing them in containers on a raised bench or even on the ground if you can bend over and then lift them onto a bench if need be. Seems like the recipe for soil varies from grower to grower, it does need to drain well regardless.

I am interested in growing them from seed as well as growing grafted rootstocks and doing some t-budding. My wife wants to grow her danged vegetables also. :) I try to tell her deer don't eat salads but she won't believe me. I live in South Carolina so the winters are fairly mild. For the cost of a couple dozen 3 and 5 gallon Rootrapper bags I could build something more substantial.

I would think that far south you will be fine. I don't think you guys hardly hit the teens? Otherwise I would say why not.