Buckwheat - Tme to mow?

2ndHand

5 year old buck +
The Buckwheat I planted this spring is now going to seed. Should I mow it now, or let it sit for the Turkey and Grouse to browse through (I do have Grouse, but see few signs of any Turkey on my property). If I mow it, will it have new growth this year?

Thanks!

What's your plan with the plot going forward?

What's your plan with the plot going forward?

This area will gradually be convert to an orchard over the next few years. I do have some extra winter rye and red clover that I could add to the side that will be the last to convert to orchard. Thanks for the reply!

If the weeds aren't bad I would broadcast some winter rye, radish, and fertilizer and then roll the buckwheat down over it. Could use some of the red clover you have to.

If it has been more than 10 days since it started seeding you will likely have some volunteer BW come up in that plot. So, the answer to your question is yes, if you mow it will re-sprout within the next couple weeks. We never found it to be an issue on our place, as we welcomed free seed. It will die after the first frost or two either way. I agree with bueller, just use that leftover wr, rc, and add some GHR. Broadcast and roll. Done deal. That red clover is free N waiting to happen. Next spring you can choose to let the rye and clover go and have a good clover stand with free reseeded rye, or you could mow the rye before it sets seed and have a straight clover plot until you are ready to move forward with your orchard plans. You also have the option to terminate the rye with clethodim and have a grass free clover plot.

If the weeds aren't bad I would broadcast some winter rye, radish, and fertilizer and then roll the buckwheat down over it. Could use some of the red clover you have to.

Thanks Bueller, What would you suggest for fertilizer (10.10.10)?

If it has been more than 10 days since it started seeding you will likely have some volunteer BW come up in that plot. So, the answer to your question is yes, if you mow it will re-sprout within the next couple weeks. We never found it to be an issue on our place, as we welcomed free seed. It will die after the first frost or two either way. I agree with bueller, just use that leftover wr, rc, and add some GHR. Broadcast and roll. Done deal. That red clover is free N waiting to happen. Next spring you can choose to let the rye and clover go and have a good clover stand with free reseeded rye, or you could mow the rye before it sets seed and have a straight clover plot until you are ready to move forward with your orchard plans. You also have the option to terminate the rye with clethodim and have a grass free clover plot.

Thanks Wiscwhip - I appreciate the info. I think I will go with mow and then broadcast as suggested. I'll order some GHR from Welters tomorrow - should have it by Friday. Thanks!

Thanks Wiscwhip - I appreciate the info. I think I will go with mow and then broadcast as suggested. I'll order some GHR from Welters tomorrow - should have it by Friday. Thanks!
I'm not sure if this is just the way you worded this or you do want to mow first? I would usually recommend to broadcast and then mow or roll. Your seed to soil contact can be affected by broadcasting onto thick layers of thatch.

Thanks Bueller, What would you suggest for fertilizer (10.10.10)?
10-10-10 will work but on my less than fertile ground I prefer at least 17-17-17 for an all purpose fertilizer. As wiscwhip posted above, broadcast your seed before mowing or rolling. I recommend rolling over mowing. If you don't have a roller and your plot is small enough you can drive the heck out of it with an atv or even tow a small jack pine or something similar behind you to flatten the buckwheat.

I'm not sure if this is just the way you worded this or you do want to mow first? I would usually recommend to broadcast and then mow or roll. Your seed to soil contact can be affected by broadcasting onto thick layers of thatch.

Thanks for the tip! This year has been my first year seeding anything other than grass. I'll broadcast first. Many thanks for your help...;)

10-10-10 will work but on my less than fertile ground I prefer at least 17-17-17 for an all purpose fertilizer. As wiscwhip posted above, broadcast your seed before mowing or rolling. I recommend rolling over mowing. If you don't have a roller and your plot is small enough you can drive the heck out of it with an atv or even tow a small jack pine or something similar behind you to flatten the buckwheat.

Hey Bueller, My soil is less than fertile too! I'll go with 17.17.17. I don't have a roller - but have a chain link fence I can add weight to. Thanks for your help!!

I have a big plot of buckwheat, too. Our camp wants to plant a mix of brassicas in the same plot for fall/winter feeding. Should we broadcast the brassica seed into the standing buckwheat, then roll it? We have a culti-packer to roll with if that'll work, or we can drag it. We also have a pto-driven mower deck we run behind the John Deere. Very few weeds in the buckwheat & it's about 26" to 30" tall. What would you guys suggest for the process to get the brassicas planted?