Bucks unlimited oak

2 things that differ from the Dunstan Chestnut and this Swamp Oak. In my area we have plenty of Oaks, no need to add another white oak. But we have no chestnuts, I add them because no one else in my area has any. And when I retire, I bet I can make more money selling chestnut seed to guys than I ever could white oak acorns!;)

I guess I never caught what racket you're in Mo. What IS it you do ??? Something to do with seed sales ??

I got caught up in the hybrid oak push a few years ago.

What I'm finding is that if you plant straight bur oak, red oak, swamp white oak and throw in a few swamp but oak hybrids...they are all growing about the same. Some of the other hybrids did nothing really.

I think success would be better for hybrids in warmer climates.

Someone on another site said FK would sell a pallet of 30 for about $23 each plus shipping.

I only have a few whites so I'd consider a few improved bur or SWO. But I would not pay much premium unless I knew they were really a premium tree.

From my recollection, they selected some good SWO, did some crosses and selected a few of those that grew fast and produced early. Then grafted those to make an orchard. These are seedlings from that orchard. Not really that improved...just enough to market as a premium deer oak.

Mo,

How are those chestnuts doing? Any newer photos?

I don't think you're ever going to fully retire though. :)

I had about 25 chestnuts 12-18" out of the tubes, and about 20 right at the top of the tube. The deer pushed over every tube the other day and ate all the tops sticking out. So I now have a bunch of 16' cattle panels and wire mess to put around the trees in the tubes for protection. I have about 45 out of 100 still going. Maybe a few more if I counted. No pictures now.

Retire, who ever really retires?, we just all find different crap to do.

I guess I never caught what racket you're in Mo. What IS it you do ??? Something to do with seed sales ??

I have kind of retired from working in the building trades full time and farming 850 acres, With buying and selling property's on the side.

What I do now is farm about 450 acres, sell seed and chemicals to farmers and a few food plotters, along just buying property and forgeting to sell them!:eek:

How can non-grafted oaks be sold as a specific "brand"? Have they grown them all in an environment that stops all other oak pollen from contacting these trees? How do they know the progeny is going to have the same characteristics as the grafted trees?
No different than Dunstan brand chestnut trees. It is just a trademark.

Jordan

I think you have a great thing going on your property and you're young. Keep at it. Add a variety of trees and you'll be able to see them bear fruit and nuts for many years when you're older.

I appreciate the kind words. I'm enjoying the heck out of it that's for sure!

If they are selling those oaks for twice what they sell other SWO's....then its pure marketing BS. If they're selling them for the same amount as the "regular" SWOs, and I was going to plant some SWOs...I'd buy the "Bucks unlimited" variety.

I thought your place was covered up with oaks Jordan?

It is! I will likely never buy an oak seedling or acorn. If I do anything it will be bull doze some oaks down to create openings for plots and fruit trees;) maybe release some native oaks too

However I am always researching and trying to learn somthing. Thought this would make for interesting conversation:)

If I do anything it will be bull doze some oaks down

:eek: The dark is closing in.......cold sweat...... tight chest.....pain in my arm.....It's the big one.........Hew, I just about passed-out!!!!

Talk about a problem I wish I had! That's like having too much money or a car that is too fast! So many oaks you may have to bulldoze some - I ought to slap you!:D

:eek: The dark is closing in.......cold sweat...... tight chest.....pain in my arm.....It's the big one.........Hew, I just about passed-out!!!!

Talk about a problem I wish I had! That's like having too much money or a car that is too fast! So many oaks you may have to bulldoze some - I ought to slap you!:D

No joke of my 287 literally 275 of it is hardwood timber primarily oaks, hickory, short leaf pines, maples an cedars. Got allot of native persimmons too
Woods are to think to hunt in many places. Small clearings are my best bet in making my farm more huntible

No joke of my 287 literally 275 of it is hardwood timber primarily oaks, hickory, short leaf pines, maples an cedars. Got allot of native persimmons too
Woods are to think to hunt in many places. Small clearings are my best bet in making my farm more huntible

You make me sick!:p You send me some of that thick cover and I will send you some of my wide-open space and we can both improve our hunting. Too thick to hunt, WTF!!!! I'm going to have nightmares now.....thanks!:D

Jordan,

From the sounds of it most of us would give up a lot to have land like yours.
Have you had a forester in to check your land out?

I'd be thinking of clearing 3 or 4 5 acre parcels and having some more fields made. The money you'd make off selling mature oaks would pay to have it stumped and then some. You could make some food plot fields and let others be fallow fields. Bush hog them once a year or two and you'd improve your habitat. It might make your hunting worse because it might spread the deer out instead of concentrating them though.

I had an MDC forester out to look at the place and I think it was his first day on the job.. I was not impressed. He advised me to plant a food plot in a landing zone literally right next to the hwy:/
I informed him every poacher for 30 square miles would be by every evening! I planted burr an shumard oaks there disregarding his advise
I agree on the clearings and think spreading my deer out will be a good thing. I think I have less really mature bucks using my destination plot this year because they don't like to be around all the youngsters

You make me sick!:p You send me some of that thick cover and I will send you some of my wide-open space and we can both improve our hunting. Too thick to hunt, WTF!!!! I'm going to have nightmares now.....thanks!:D

Plant some trees J!!! That's the fun stuff!!! Clearing sucks! I need a dozer

Just when I run my mouth and say I will likely never plant another oak on our place I picked up a few MDC Concordia oaks from a fellow tree nerd today :)

I know many of you don't visit that "other" site; however, if you want to see some outstanding SWO acorns off a tree that throws a lot of big acorns on a regular basis, go to page 2 and see the thread "How much swamp in a swamp white oak." Biggest SWOs I have ever seen.

letemgrow?
No sir I have not had the pleasure of meeting Letemgrow yet. Hope to some day. This was just a local buddy of mine that placed a MDC order

I know many of you don't visit that "other" site; however, if you want to see some outstanding SWO acorns off a tree that throws a lot of big acorns on a regular basis, go to page 2 and see the thread "How much swamp in a swamp white oak." Biggest SWOs I have ever seen.

Tks!
I visit that site regularly. Some good guys over there but Will say less bs to sort through over here;)