Buck age estimate?

bornagain62511

5 year old buck +
Please let me know what you think the age of this Buck is. We are located in southwestern Wisconsin driftless area. We have taken two different 5 1/2 year old bucks in the past that weighed 240 lb field dressed.

Thank you

EK000033.jpeg

Last edited:
Judging off that one pic, if that were here, I'd guess him a 3 year old.

Same buck from the rear

EK000036.jpeg

Judging off that one pic, if that were here, I'd guess him a 3 year old.

Where are you located at? Were you mostly considering his antler size? Or body size?
Please disregard his antler size. Still think he would be a three and a half year old?

I was kind of thinking he's only two and a half years old

Thanks

Last edited:
I agree with the 2.5 max 3.5 yrs old thoughts

So you're saying your best estimate would be that he is only 2.5 years old? That's kind of what I was thinking. Definitely no older than 3.5 but I'm hoping he's only 2.5 because if he is only 2.5 and lives another three years he could be a really impressive buck. Below is a photo of what I would consider an average antler size and body size 2.5 year old buck in our area. The double drop tine buck in question photo was taken in mid September and the photo below was taken mid-october.

IM000527.jpg

I'd say 3.5 since September pictures make them look young and sleek. I think he would look a lot different in a picture today. I live in SE MN and hunt here and NW WI.

He looks 3.5, but either way, really nice buck!

Where are you located at? Were you mostly considering his antler size? Or body size?
Please disregard his antler size. Still think he would be a three and a half year old?

I was kind of thinking he's only two and a half years old

Thanks
Iowa, looking at body build only. 2.5 may not be out of the question but I'd still lean towards 3 year old.

Years back we had a 2 1/2 y/o that sported 4 nice drop tines. My cousin shot him as a 5 1/2 and it grossed 198 and change. Its mainframe 8 pt rack scored 158". The year prior he was a main frame 10 and would have scored even more had he not broken 2 of his droptines.

This deer doesn't have a huge rack, but looks older to me. What say you guys?
IMG_0092.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    337.8 KB · Views: 5
If your time stamps on your pictures are correct, then like above we really are not comparing apples to apples. The last pic he has filled out and gotten his swollen neck. Big difference in appearance in summer/early fall and late fall/winter. I had pics of a 7 point that was a stud and he looked to small in the summer that i swore he was young. I killed him Late November and he looked completely different. Sent jaw bone off and he was 5 1/2. Im gonna say your drop tine deer is 3 1/2 at a minimum and probably 4 1/2.

ks gobbler, 2.5 on that deer

I think he could just be 2 1/2 very easily. 3 1/2 would not surprise me either. Should look pretty cool next year! Hopefully he keeps the Double D's!!!

3.5 no doubt.

Thanks guys. unfortunately our farm does not seem to be part of his core area. He's been seen on neighboring properties all summer and fall, and only rarely crossing into ours and these are the only photos we've caught on him on our property and we have numerous photos of other 2, 3, and 4 year old bucks often times 2 or 3 times per week on our cameras. I hope he "shifts" his core area onto our farm and survives the coming gun deer season and decides that he likes it more on our farm!! and lives a couple more years! time will tell