Brush saw

Ben.MN/WI

5 year old buck +
I have some pretty large shooting lanes in our black spruce swamp in WI and I'm always looking for options to keep my maintenance time to a minimum. Tamarac and black spruce seedlings sprout quickly in the shooting lane and I try to cut the lanes every other year so my bullets aren't deflected when the swamp bucks appear. We currently need to use a chain saw for the majority of the lanes since the bumps/stumps in the shooting lanes are too rough for my brush hog to run over in most areas.

Does anyone have any experience with the weed-wacker style saws that have a circular style blade instead of the standard weed wiper end? I'm thinking that this type of saw would dramatically the wear and tear on my back since I wouldn't have to bend over constantly like I do when cutting the seedlings with a chain saw. Any suggestions would be appreciate-

Hey Ben - What size trunk/stump would you like to cut? I have a Stihl FS 130 trimmer that came with both a weed wacker attachment and circular steel blade. I haven't used the steel blade attachment yet, but my plan was to use it on steep inclines to control unwanted seedlings and blackberry canes (not sure on the max dia. cut).

I have the fs90 and with a brush blade ( the one that resembles a three pointed star) it will cut 1in saplings no problem. That blade is supposed to work better on a mixture of big weeds and small brush.

I have a Stihl also with a circular blade. Get one with carbide teeth. Well satisfied for clearing brush.

Thanks for the feedback. I would say that the saplings and brush I cut on my shooting lanes is usually around 1" in diameter. The chainsaw works fine for that job, but it gets pretty old bending down with the saw to cut the brush flush to the ground. I have about 3/4 mile of shooting lanes that I need to maintain and I know there has to be a better way.

Thanks for the feedback. I would say that the saplings and brush I cut on my shooting lanes is usually around 1" in diameter. The chainsaw works fine for that job, but it gets pretty old bending down with the saw to cut the brush flush to the ground. I have about 3/4 mile of shooting lanes that I need to maintain and I know there has to be a better way.
Exactly why I bought the brush cutter. It will work well on 1" stuff. The carbide blade makes a big difference. Regular steel one is dull in no time.

Thanks for the info. Do you remember the model number of your Stihl cutter that you recommend? Thanks for the tip on the carbide blade, that makes sense.

Thanks for the info. Do you remember the model number of your Stihl cutter that you recommend? Thanks for the tip on the carbide blade, that makes sense.
I will check next time out to the shop.

I don't want to cross post. See my post in General Discussion, Weed Wacker thread if you're interested. It's my experience & thoughts on brush cutter & carbide blades.

I don't want to cross post. See my post in General Discussion, Weed Wacker thread if you're interested. It's my experience & thoughts on brush cutter & carbide blades.
If you are talking about me in your other post when you say don't use circular saw blades, I don't know where I said that. My carbide blade came from the Stihl dealer for my brush cutter. It has lasted st least 5 years and cuts as good now as when new.

Hi Slugger, I wasn't refering to anyone. I had posted in the Weed Wacker thread before I even read this thread & some sites have rules against cross posting. I think I share your opinion of carbide brush blades - I'm very impressed with mine. It was in a different site altogether that people were talking about using carbide circular saw blades. I was just trying to share information. My apologies if it came across otherwise.

Hi Slugger, I wasn't refering to anyone. I had posted in the Weed Wacker thread before I even read this thread & some sites have rules against cross posting. I think I share your opinion of carbide brush blades - I'm very impressed with mine. It was in a different site altogether that people were talking about using carbide circular saw blades. I was just trying to share information. My apologies if it came across otherwise.
No worries

image.jpg
Carbide blade.image.jpg My brush cutter. Stihl FS 250

Thanks for the information and the picture. That's just what I was looking for, thanks-