Brassica, what sweetens in a frost?

One of the guys at my local co-op suggested that I fertilize my brassica's with ammonium sulfate, and that would make them taste better to the deer and would get earlier use, that was last year, and his word seemed true, the plot got hammered early, I went back to urea this year and my brassica's are currently getting moderate use.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

I plant mine around 4th of July, I add 100 pounds per acre of urea at planting, then about the 1st week of August I add another 100 pounds per acre. Days after adding the second round of urea, they hammer the greens to the point of practically killing off the field, some overcome, some die off, but that is ok, because I plant winter rye into it at 100 pounds per acre Labor day weekend. This seems to keep them in the food plots throughout the fall and into winter. Then early spring the winter rye grows and feeds them in the spring, and the winter rye ends up about 6 feet tall by July when I replant the ppt, GHR, and whatever else is in the flavor of the year. This has worked well for me for several years now. I started off with poor soils, and with the mix of brassicas, and winter rye, the soil has grew a few inches of nice rich black soil.

Last edited:
I plant mine around 4th of July, I add 100 pounds per acre of urea at planting, then about the 1st week of August I add another 100 pounds per acre. Days after adding the second round of urea, they hammer the greens to the point of practically killing off the field, some overcome, some die off, but that is ok, because I plant winter rye into it at 100 pounds per acre Labor day weekend. This seems to keep them in the food plots throughout the fall and into winter. Then early spring the winter rye grows and feeds them in the spring, and the winter rye ends up about 6 feet tall by July when I replant the ppt, GHR, and whatever else is in the flavor of the year. This has worked well for me for several years now. I started off with poor soils, and with the mix of brassicas, and winter rye, the soil has ground a few inches of nice rich black soil.
Sounds like a good plan that works.