Bow releases...

biglakeba$$

5 year old buck +
I have an old wrist release. It works for me, but considering a new release.

The question I have is do I stick with a wrist release or go to a 4 finger release.... And what reasons are there behind the choices??

Personally I like the wrist release, not as easy to drop from a stand once you have it on. Other than that it's what works best for you.

I tried the 4finger release and couldn't hold as steady. I also prefer wrist. I have an extra Scott hook release I will se for 25 if your interesed. Lemme know an I will post pics

I would stick with what you are most comfortable and accurate with. I use a wrist type as well.

God dang McLovin... that's the same one I have right now. HAAAA.
Mine would also be about 25+ years old....

I made the switch from a wrist release to a thumb release and am very glad I made the switch. It is worth trying. Most people like it much better once you get used to it.

Back when I bowhunted, I shot fingers. I tried many releases, and never got accustomed to any of them. The worst was a thumb release, for some reason I could not prevent myself from "punching" the trigger on those. All the newer bows have such a short axle to axle length, I doubt they could be shot very well with fingers.

Back when I bowhunted, I shot fingers. I tried many releases, and never got accustomed to any of them. The worst was a thumb release, for some reason I could not prevent myself from "punching" the trigger on those. All the newer bows have such a short axle to axle length, I doubt they could be shot very well with fingers.

Most people these days agree that thumb releases help with squeezing the trigger. Everyone is different though. The key is to bury the release bar into the base of your thumb and not the tip.

God dang McLovin... that's the same one I have right now. HAAAA.
Mine would also be about 25+ years old....
I bought another one a couple years ago for backup and keep it in my pack. I can shoot left and right handed so I like this style in case I ever run into a situation where I might need to lean out a different direction and shoot with the other hand. No buckles, just slip it off and slip it back on. Don't laugh, it happened to me (buck bedded down in a bad spot 15 yards away) when I was shooting Hoyt, I couldn't shoot that bow opposite because of their weird riser, plus it didn't occur to me until later. Now I make sure I fling a few right handed when I practice in case it ever happens again or I get injured somehow and can't shoot left handed. I guess you could make the same argument for a clip on the string style release but I worry about dropping those.