Boom or boomless and why?

Boll Weevil

5 year old buck +
I’m getting a bigger + pto driven sprayer. Boom or boomless and why one over the other?

IMG_6636.jpeg
IMG_4414.jpeg

You cant do this with a boom sprayer.

It probably depends on your ground and what you are doing. If it is rough ground, narrow trails, lots of trees - boomless. Open ground and row crop - boom sprayer.

At what wind speed does a boomless sprayer become a problem? How often does a guy feel himself getting a chemical shower?
I've always stuck with booms because I assumed they work better when it's breezy as I can lower the booms and the spray has a very short distance to go before hitting its target. However, I've never used a boomless sprayer and maybe I'm way off base?

I had a boomless and I could never quite tell exactly how far my spray pattern was. I switched to boom just so I knew exactly where my spray was directed. I don't have near the tree cover like in the pics above so that would be a major consideration. We are pretty flat and open.

I've just used booms to have a better feel for where i'm covering, more consistent coverage, more forgiveness in wind. Boomless would be pretty dang nice for doing foliar fertilizers!

At what wind speed does a boomless sprayer become a problem? How often does a guy feel himself getting a chemical shower?
I've always stuck with booms because I assumed they work better when it's breezy as I can lower the booms and the spray has a very short distance to go before hitting its target. However, I've never used a boomless sprayer and maybe I'm way off base?
At a guess - maybe 10 mph. You can set your discharge nozzle closer to the ground, but that may affect your spread. You can also spray crosswind and always be turning into the wind. A boom sprayer is better in the wind - for sure. It is also better on row crops when trying to get herbicide down between the rows. I dont typically row crop. I am bothered by wind, for sure. Early morning and late afternoons are best. My boomless sprayer is supposed to spray 25 ft wide. The farthest outside droplets may do that - but I usually figure about a 20 ft width for some over lap.

I have used both. A boomless is better in the wind and in row crops. A boomless better in trees, trails, and steep terrain. Boomless sprays a wider swath. A boom sprayer can do some things better than a boomless, but there are things a boom sprayer can not do that a boomless can. A boomless can do pretty much everything a boom sprayer can - but maybe not quite as well.

One other consideration. Twice in twenty years I have had the nozzle on my boomless sprayer stop up. Both times it appeared to be a piece of plastic. A two minute fix with a crescent wrench. I have spent much time trying to clear boom nozzles.

If I was row cropping for a living, I would probably stick with a boom sprayer. I food plot forty acres and I believe a boomless sprayer suits my work better.

I tried to use a boom on my ranger but I had to build some way to hold it and it was a pain even in beans.I made a bracket that sits about 3ft above my hitch with a boomless and it works ok.I think you can add dye to see it easier.

I have both, if you can call the 25 gallon one a boom. It only has two spray nozzles on it, but it’s great for small jobs and spraying my yard. The other is a 60 gallon three point with pto drive, and it’s what I spray most of my food plots with. I’d knock a boom off pretty quickly in the places I go spraying our small food plots.

I have a 45 gallon John Deere boom sprayer for my UTV and a 25 gallon boomless Fimco for my 4 wheeler. They both have their benefits but overall for me I think I prefer the boom. Much easier to spray in the yard if necessary without overspray onto my wife's flowers, etc.

The boomless is at hunting camp and the boom sprayer around home.

Benefits to both: Boom sprays down at the ground for direct spray, boomless for broadcast sprays, wont bump into trees. We even use a nozzle that sprays 15ft out! its pretty easy to see the spray pattern if youre wondering where it goes. the boom we have does also fold inward for trees which is nice for alot of people.
Just look at your plot and determine your goals. Happy to help!

You'll get more even coverage with a boom, as the droplet sizes will be consistent.

Do you want to share what you're spraying?