BOB clover blends.

does anyone in the north (wisconsin,MN,Mi) have any experience with Durana clover in colder climates? Just wondering if it stays green all year.

does anyone in the north (wisconsin,MN,Mi) have any experience with Durana clover in colder climates? Just wondering if it stays green all year.

To answer your question, No I don't.

Go with Alice instead.

I've planted both Durana and WI clovers. The deer on my farm just didn't use the Durana much. The WI clover gets hammered. They even dig through the snow to get to it.

I agree to avoid any mix with perennial rye ( not to be confused with winter/cereal rye which is a great cover crop for fall clover planting). As mentioned before, perennial rye is like lawn grass and can be very difficult to get rid of.
Luckily the local feed store in Alexandria, MN (the General Store) has a great selection and sells them in 1,5, and 50 pound bags depending on what you need.
I ordered a 25 pound bag of Alice White Clover for $125, and the inoculate for clover for $ $7.00 and had it shipped for $12 from Albert Lea seed. It already had an inoculant in the coating but I added fresh inoculant to be safe. It is supposed to be very winter hardy and drought tolerant. It was recommended by Paul Knox/dbltree and others. I will also frost seed some other white clover in the spring to get some diversity. ( something like a jumbo ladino along with some chickory).
I have used BOB in the past with good success, but planting clover in the fall with a cover crop is the way to go. You will have much less issues with weeds than with a spring planting.

Or looking back...what yoderjack said.

I threw a Grandpa Ray's clover mix in with my brassicas this year. It is the three way annual clover mix. It grew great and there was a lot of green clover under the snow in the last week of gun season in Northern MN.

IMG_1257.JPG

I threw a Grandpa Ray's clover mix in with my brassicas this year. It is the three way annual clover mix. It grew great and there was a lot of green clover under the snow in the last week of gun season in Northern MN.

View attachment 21988

Does that have any perennial clover in it?