Black Twig

greyphase

5 year old buck +
I picked my only Black Twig apple that I had growing on a B9 tree and was very pleased with it's taste. Tart and crisp it reminded me of a Winesap which makes sense as it is supposedly a seedling of Winesap. I have several B118's grafted to this variety and am looking forward to the day they bear fruit.
Creek%20apple%20and%20Black%20Twig%20007_zpsbelvuvtn.jpg

One of several wild apple trees growing down by the creek has apples on for the first time. Ugly things that I almost didn't try to taste, I finally pulled one off and took a bite ready to spit it out, but was surprised with it's passable flavor. Certainly not the best apple I've ever tasted but certainly not a spitter either :).
Creek%20apple%20and%20Black%20Twig%20003_zpsna4qca7j.jpg

You never know till you take a bite. :D

Put your mug in the picture and join the Selfie thread, lol!

Put your mug in the picture and join the Selfie thread, lol!

I'm afraid most people would lose their appetite :eek:.

I picked my lone BlackTwig apple (I had deflowered all my newer trees, but I guess I missed a blossom on that tree) during bow season on October 3...I wish I had taken a picture, but it looked about like yours Grey. I was surprised at how large it was, but maybe that was because it was the only fruit on the tree.

Mine was tart and juicy, though I wonder if it was ripe at the time. In any event, it was great to taste a bit of our efforts!

I picked it because I don't think of it as a 'late' apple and wanted to taste one. I have a single Yates and a single Goldrush (I think of these as later apples) that also escaped my deflowering...I'm going to let those fall off the tree so that I can gauge their drop time.

My blacktwigs, along with arkansas blacks and yates, are still not ripe.

Dan, I'm definitely still learning about ripening times. Do you find that BlackTwig ripens with Ark Black and Yates in your area?

my blacktwig and yates ripen a bit later than arkansas black, maybe by a week or two. Your black twig does not look ripe. It should be almost black, dark purple

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    322.8 KB · Views: 10
How do y'all's trees hold up to CAR? I would love to try grafting and planting a couple but I'm laced with red cedars

I wouldn't worry too much about CAR. Maybe it will stunt their growth a bit, but in our area of MN there are lots of cedars and lots of apple trees. They seem to get along just fine and the apple trees produce lots of fruit. I'm sure they would produce more if there weren't cedars in the area but I certainly wouldn't stop planting apples because there are cedars in the area.

my blacktwig and yates ripen a bit later than arkansas black, maybe by a week or two. Your black twig does not look ripe. It should be almost black, dark purple

Thanks for the heads up on the ripening time Dan. I should have a few more next year and will let them hang longer.

Checked my blacktwigs today, not ripe, and my guess is it will be two more weeks. Yates will take another 1 to 2 weeks to ripen.

That makes me wonder how tasty my BlackTwig would have been had I let it ripen <grin>

Are black twigs disease resistant?

I am not having any issues with disease

Picked my twigs on 11/1 as they were falling, yet they are not ripe. Will ripen in storage.