Big 8’s

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
Is there much upside to not take a deer like this if given a chance? Deer is obviously mature and I don’t envision him all the sudden becoming a 160” 10 next year so I assume just being a big 8 is his lot in life. I don’t have any history on this farm so I don’t know what he was last year
IMG_0837.jpegIMG_0171.jpeg

To state the obvious, a 150" 8 is two 5" G4's from being a 160" 10. Now imagine him with some gnarly mass and becoming a 160" 8. Far more impressive. If he doesn't check all of your blocks, I'd say see what he becomes. He doesn't look too young, but he lacks some of that extra gnar that old bucks get. One of the biggest sets of sheds I have is from a 170" 8. A few of those inches come from stickers on the base, but he was an impressive critter.

And that is a beautiful deer by the way. His symmetry is very nice!

Yeah he’s cool. I hate to be presented with the opportunity and take it if there’s more in the tank. But there’s always the dynamic that he’s probably a shooter for all my neighbors so there’s that. If I see him in person I’ll just have to evaluate and maybe quickly!

That's a neat looking buck. All I can say is that for me I'd wait and see what he can do at 5.5. If he's already 5.5 then he's a game time decision.

It seems like a lot of those standard 8s (or 6's for that matter), are the ones that can sneak up there in age. At least around us, they tend to also have the most antler mass.

I tend to say shoot what gets you excited and meets your management goals. But the last couple of years that has meant tag soup. This one is a cool buck and if he was on my farm I would definitely have to think about it.

864049055076907-100-2-09242024194842-W1021786.jpeg

this seven pt I can say with 95% positivity is not going up. He was an 8 pt last year, a seven pt this year, and probably a 6 next year. Our deer typically dont improve much after 4 or 5. That, and two buck tags, and four hunting grand daughters make the decision pretty easy. 😎

View attachment 68944

this seven pt I can say with 95% positivity is not going up. He was an 8 pt last year, a seven pt this year, and probably a 6 next year. Our deer typically dont improve much after 4 or 5. That, and two buck tags, and four hunting grand daughters make the decision pretty easy. 😎
That deer would be on the list for sure

Good looking buck! If he just showed up, he may be breaking out of bachelor group and starting to roam. At his stage, always a tough decision when you have trigger happy neighbors. But as you know, they never get bigger if you don't take a chance and pass on him.

He who can predict what a buck will do has not been born. Ive seen to many unexplainable exceptions. Take the fella for example . 3 year history. Cant tell you how many tomes I'd have said" perfect target buck

Attachments

• IMG_8228.jpeg
    IMG_8228.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 51
I have posted another photo comparison here some time back...I've had a couple whiskeys tonight...dont be judgmental ....of a low 160's 8 with a little trash. The following year he was 210. I repeat , he who can predict what a buck will do has not been born. Most bucks are predictable and there are some that are clearly weak. But I've come to the conclusion no-one knows what a buck will do late in life on high nutrition.

Foggy one more year for sure maybe two. He's just getting there and it takes 6 years to grow another.

This big 8 wasn't a regular last year, but he was an occasional. Not sure of his history. Obviously hoped to see him again. May have got a glimpse in velvet this summer, and if it's him, he shrunk.

20240204_175242.jpg20240204_175409.jpg

Dawgs, do you have a decent guess how old your 8 is? If you recall the deer I got last season, he went from an 8 that looked just like your deer, and then grew 4s, grew longer brows, and added a nice drop. He lost an inch on each 2. This was him as a 4.5, twinsy to your buck. 20221105_142531.jpg20221105_165056.jpg

Dawgs, do you have a decent guess how old your 8 is? If you recall the deer I got last season, he went from an 8 that looked just like your deer, and then grew 4s, grew longer brows, and added a nice drop. He lost an inch on each 2. This was him as a 4.5, twinsy to your buck. View attachment 68961View attachment 68962
That looks like one heavy buck.

Dawgs, do you have a decent guess how old your 8 is? If you recall the deer I got last season, he went from an 8 that looked just like your deer, and then grew 4s, grew longer brows, and added a nice drop. He lost an inch on each 2. This was him as a 4.5, twinsy to your buck. View attachment 68961View attachment 68962
I don’t honestly. No history since it’s my first season with this property. I’d say 4 plus just looking at that body and 5 wouldn’t surprise me. I may pass given the opportunity and hope a) he lives and b) he does something special like yours.

11burley.jpeg

This is a little different brand of 8 pt. He was a mediocre ten pt at age 4 and 5. We would have killed him then because we knew he was never going to be a real quality deer with the shorter tines - but never saw him during season. Last year, at age six, no brow tines, so now an 8 pt. He was a bully of a deer. Would not go to a feeder. Would visit food plots, but rarely the same one two days in a row. I wanted to take this deer, and never saw him. I know he lived into Feb, but have not seen what we believe to be him this year. Not much on antlers, but a brute of a deer