Best variety of red clover

Ncwoodsman

A good 3 year old buck
Was looking at may doing some plots with red clover this year and maybe adding some crimson as a nurse crop, then try to maintain the red clover for 2 or maybe 3 years. What variety would be best

You should share your zone, or location. It will make a difference.

Red clover is a popular hay clover, so it is readily available at your local seed dealer or MFA. They all have "improved" varieties that work well in your area.

In my experience.. deer like them all. It doesn't matter.

I believe zone 7 in eastern Tennessee. Red clover seemed like the cheapest best options because Im not looking to get 3+ years.

A cereal grain like rye or wheat would be a much better nurse crop than Crimson Clover IMO. The only downside to red clover IMO is the hard seed it produces, that stuff spreads everywhere.. We have red clover growing quite a ways from our field from the years of hay cutting from the previous farmer on our property. The deer love it though!

In KY, Kenland does well and would likely do well in your area too. An variety touted better than Kenland is Kenstar, but I can never find it. Here is a link to one developed in Franklin, TN but I don't know where you can buy it.

In KY, Kenland does well and would likely do well in your area too. An variety touted better than Kenland is Kenstar, but I can never find it. Here is a link to one developed in Franklin, TN but I don't know where you can buy it.

FYI - That's the red clover in Real World Clover / Chicory blend.

I've also used Kenland Red. Great variety as well.

I already have a lot of white clover in most the fields I'm seeding into I'm trying to keep i may be able to overseed the rec clover

Medium Red with a Winter Rye nurse crop works well. You can add crimson if you want. It won't act as a nurse crop like WR, but it does act as a reseeding annual in zone 7a.

Marathon or Freedom MR are the two reds that I use when planting clover.

What are you guys usually paying for 50 lb sack of the red clover

I just bought a 50 lb sack of Medium Red Clover on Sunday.......and paid $150 for it. it did have a coating on the seed......which amounts to nearly 30% of the content.

I just bought a 50 lb sack of Medium Red Clover on Sunday.......and paid $150 for it. it did have a coating on the seed......which amounts to nearly 30% of the content.
This brings up a question for me foggy. In the past I have gotten much better germination from coated seeds, knowing I get less actual seed when I use them. Now that I have a drill, I wonder if the coating is as important, and if I would not be better off getting pure seed knowing I get more seed per weight.

Clover seed was running around $90 a bag but that was un-named you will pay more for a named inoculated verity most likely.

I like Mammoth Red and the Medium red from Merit (not an employee or paid spokesman or anything, have just had good success with their stuff)...the MRC was 143 for a 50 lb bag and the Mammoth was $190.

Man the clover isn't cheap. This year I think I will get a couple bags or crimson, a bag of red clover and maybe a bag of frosty berseem clover to try

We've been using Marathon and Starfire red clovers for a few years now. They seem to last for us in the NC Pa. mountains. Starfire and Supreme 2020 brand alfalfa from Welter's ........ mixed gave us a great multi-year plot that draws deer like a magnet.

With all this rain we have been getting i considered trying to plant some in the next few weeks