Best Riflescope $500 range

Mortenson

5 year old buck +
Hey guys. I did a quick google check and found articles naming a bunch of brands I've never heard of. Kinda thought it would be a Vortex vs Leupold vs Burris type debate, but now seeing many others. I could probably stretch as high as $600 area. Just wanting to see if there's any consensus. I need it to go on a CVA Cascade 450 bushmaster. Thinking a 4.5-14, or at least 12x. I'd like more than a 3-9 just for sighting in.

If you could find one you like at Natchez Shooters Supply, they are having $5 flat rate shipping for over $100 purchase right now. And, Midway USA has 15% off of some optics at this time.

Last edited:
What kind of hunting are you doing? If you are hunting low light and/or longer ranges, a 30mm tube and 50mm objective can be a big help.

The problem there is that it's not ideal for shorter ranges, but this scope would be great on most other rifles if you ever want something different for your 450.

If you hunt shorter ranges, you can get something designet for the 450 and save a bit of money at the same time. Problem is it's not great for anything else if you should happen to change your mind down the road.

I’ve got Vortex ,Leupold and Burris I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them at about that $500 price point and above some of their low end stuff IDK maybe a bit sketchy. I did buy a Primary Arms I think it might have been for my oldest boy on his 10/22 takedown it’s been a reasonable scope that has taken a beating from a kid. I bought a pare of Leupold 6-18 Mark AR scopes and liked them pretty well so a three maybe four years latter I bought two more of them in preparation for a prairie dog hunt and the second two Leupold 6-18 Mark AR scopes had internal adjustment issues. I still used them but could not run them on 20moa rails do to the adjustment issues. Something was defiantly off on the internals on those second two scopes I couldn’t even zero at 100yds with the 20 MOA rails I normally run on AR’s to get enough height on the scope to make them comfortable to get behind. I ordered a pair of 0 MOA rails to use with those two scopes and they have been fine but they don’t have the adjustment to shoot 1000yds if I’m so inclined. I suspect they where discontinuing the product line and used spare internal parts from a different product line to use up left over external tubes and kick them out the door for sale. Just my thoughts.

I appreciate the replies. Still hunting for a scope. Does that old adage still hold true of spending at least as much on the scope as the gun cost? Thought some even used to say to spend twice as much on the scope. Most of my shots with this deer rifle will probably be set up for 100-200 yards. Are those lower end Zeiss scopes considered any good? Compared to a Leupold VX 3? $800 vs $700. Would like a simple duplex crosshair.

I do think a good rule of thumb is spend equal amount on optic as rifle cost. I have some VX-3’s they are good scopes. I do not own a Zeiss but believe them to be of good quality also. I would guess at the $700-$800 range your going to get a decent scope as long as it’s from a big name manufacturer not one of the Johnny come lately clowns with everything made in China.

Take a look at Meopta scopes.

I have a Zeiss. It's an excellent scope. But you definitely pay a bit extra for the name.

I don’t trust most common hunting scopes to stay zeroed or track reliably (even the expensive ones) so tend to buy a little more robust scopes.

I’d take a look at trijicon accupoint and meopta optika5 in that price range.

Edit to add: I don't really agree unilaterally with the "spend as much or more on your scope than your rifle". On a $3-400 rifle? Yeah, I'd spend more on the scope. With most typical hunting rifle scopes what you're paying for primarily is optical quality, zoom range, Elevation travel, illumination, turret features, etc. You can spend $2k on a Leupold Vx6 that's just as likely to lose zero as a $500 VX3 but it has a larger zoom range and a little nicer image quality. I have $600-$1000 scopes on numerous $3k+ customs rifles because functionally they do what's needed. I wanted no holds barred, best long range hunting scope that $ can buy when I built my first custom rifle. I spent $3k on a March 3-24x52. It was impressive in many ways but the parallax was finicky AF, depth of focus very shallow, reticle was rarely sharp when the parallax was dialed out. I replaced it with a $1k Bushnell Elite LRHS that is longer, heavier, slightly less clear, turrets aren't as crisp, has less ideal magnification on bottom and top of the range BUT is a better functional optic because the reticle is always sharp and the parallax doesn't need to be effed with so much in dynamic situations.

Last edited:
This is frustrating. I've been trying to research Meopta after several of you named it. EuroOptic sells the Optika 5 3-15 x 44 for only 385 and free shipping. Do you think that's a better scope than the Zeiss Conquest V4 3-12 x 44 for $800?

Rokslide forums seem to think pretty highly of the Zeiss V4. They also like the trijicons but they're up there in cost also, way higher than the Meopta. Comparable to V4 in that 800 range.

I'll make $800 my new top end. But if the Meotpa at 385 is just as good, I like that price alot better obviously. We put a Leupold Vx3 on my dad's Savage 220 3 years ago. I've never hunted with it, but did shoot it on the range a few times. There's a thread somewhere here on that... would be some Yoder flashbacks haha. Seems like a good scope, but hasn't been tested much. Just kinda feel like maybe getting something different.

Everyone feel free to chime in. Thanks!

Two brands that I haven’t seen thrown out there that seem to get quite a bit of good reviews are sightron and arken. Both seem to have better glass than their price shows. I don’t have first hand experience but have been debating putting an arken on my smokeless ml.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is frustrating. I've been trying to research Meopta after several of you named it. EuroOptic sells the Optika 5 3-15 x 44 for only 385 and free shipping. Do you think that's a better scope than the Zeiss Conquest V4 3-12 x 44 for $800?

Rokslide forums seem to think pretty highly of the Zeiss V4. They also like the trijicons but they're up there in cost also, way higher than the Meopta. Comparable to V4 in that 800 range.

I'll make $800 my new top end. But if the Meotpa at 385 is just as good, I like that price alot better obviously. We put a Leupold Vx3 on my dad's Savage 220 3 years ago. I've never hunted with it, but did shoot it on the range a few times. There's a thread somewhere here on that... would be some Yoder flashbacks haha. Seems like a good scope, but hasn't been tested much. Just kinda feel like maybe getting something different.

Everyone feel free to chime in. Thanks!
Only have a little experience with the 2-10 optika5. I’d have a hard time paying the premium for the Zeiss. Check out redhawk rifles for the zeiss though, they frequently have like new demos at a discount.

Meopta scopes have excellent glass, but they are heavy and clunky and have awful reticles. Perfect for someone with less than perfect vision, shooting deer under 200 yards, from a blind or tree stand.

Zeiss is expensive because they are among the absolute best scopes in all categories. Mine is slim and no-frills, for taking quick shots at deer in bad weather in relatively dense brush/forest, after a day or two of hiking around in mountainous terrain.

Besides shooting short range BR competitively, I spend a lot of time researching on shooting websites. In my experience and based on what I have learned is I would not hesitate to buy a new Sightron or an older used Leupold - M8, VX-III series. A good place to find used scopes is AccurateShooter.com.
Scopes I would stay away from are any Burris, Weaver, Cabellas, Tasco, Bushnell due to poor / non-existent warranty service. Leupold has been very good for me in the past on warranty claims on the older models. The new Leupolds are overpriced with needless features and the entry level scopes compare poorly with Sightron and other well known brands.

I've bought a number of scopes for a variety of purposes over the years. Was able to buy a number of Luepolds from a sales rep friend of mine.....and also got a Swarovski and a couple of Bushnell Elites. I really like the Bushnell elite scopes I have for hunting rifles. Very smooth operating and have been reliable for me......as they all have been. I know there are lots of happy Sightron owners....just never had any experience with them.

Never knew you shot bench rest Bearswamper. I shot a little BR in the 90's and early 2000's. Got a great Stolle Panda action in 6PPC to sell-----with all the quality accessory equipment to load and shoot it if you know someone that is looking for a great package. (Broughton & Hart Bbls, Luepold 36x, Jewell 2 0z, McMillan, Wilson hand dies and bump die and Harrels press, and Powder measure, etc 0 LV/HV switch weight system by Dan Dowling, Sinclair windage top rest, etc.)

The late '80's, '90 's and early 2000's was the heyday of BR. Today- sadly not so much. But I am addicted to it. I got into it when the good Groundhog hunting areas became harder to find due to development. Yes , Panda actions and 6 PPC's rule. That's what I have. I'll ask around at matches if anyone is interested.

The late '80's, '90 's and early 2000's was the heyday of BR. Today- sadly not so much. But I am addicted to it. I got into it when the good Groundhog hunting areas became harder to find due to development. Yes , Panda actions and 6 PPC's rule. That's what I have. I'll ask around at matches if anyone is interested.
OK ....I hauled it all down to AZ and had planned to get someone like Lester Bruno to sell it. Just never got around to it.....and the one time I went to see him...he was in the hospital. I would make a great package deal if someone is interested. The gun has shot some groups in the 0's but I have not fired a round in over 15 years from this gun. I got into this sickness via prairie dog shoots in the 80's and then went into the reloading tools and shooting products biz.

Meopta scopes have excellent glass, but they are heavy and clunky and have awful reticles. Perfect for someone with less than perfect vision, shooting deer under 200 yards, from a blind or tree stand.

Zeiss is expensive because they are among the absolute best scopes in all categories. Mine is slim and no-frills, for taking quick shots at deer in bad weather in relatively dense brush/forest, after a day or two of hiking around in mountainous terrain.

There is a pretty big variety in meopta and zeiss lines IMO, some lighter, some clunkier. I will agree that the Optica5 and 6 lines are pretty ugly playing on the "tacticool" trend but i try not to let appearance overrule function. Meopta was actually the manufacturer of the original Zeiss Conquest line (rebadged meopta meopro and also same as the cabelas "euro" line) which probably sold more scopes than any of the conquest v4 or v6 lines currently available which are manufactured by Light optical works in Japan.

RE the rokslide reviews - what i've seen over the years is guys are really happy with the conquest v4 glass but have had some zero retention issues. The Optika6 scopes seem to have slightly more favorable reviews from the zero retention standpoint but it would be a big assumption whether or not that translates to the Optika5 line. I think either would be a nice option for a midwest hunting rifle.

There is a pretty big variety in meopta and zeiss lines IMO, some lighter, some clunkier. I will agree that the Optica5 and 6 lines are pretty ugly playing on the "tacticool" trend but i try not to let appearance overrule function. Meopta was actually the manufacturer of the original Zeiss Conquest line (rebadged meopta meopro and also same as the cabelas "euro" line) which probably sold more scopes than any of the conquest v4 or v6 lines currently available which are manufactured by Light optical works in Japan.

The Optica 5 and 6 were what I was referring to. They're not just bulky, they're heavy. And I don't like the reticles. But I do like their boniculars.

As I understand it, Zeiss tests their scopes pretty rigorously, which adds to the cost, but it means they work 100% right out of the box, every time. I only own one Zeiss, and it's a no-frills version, but I love it. Everything else I own is Leupold or Vortex.

What model Zeiss is it Telemark? I have a Zeiss Diavari on my old slug gun. It's over 25 years old and I'm just worried it's taken too many 3" punches over the years.