Best boots

Rally1148

5 year old buck +
Hey all,

I've had a pair of Red Wings for the past ~10 years. They are finally starting to wear out, and there are some holes where my pinky toe hits the side. They aren't too narrow, but just normal wear. Now I'm looking for some new ones.

What I need: just the basics

No steel toe, durability, waterproofing isn't important since I have water proofing spray, good insoles.

We've got a RedWing dealer pretty close to us, so if all else is equal I'll go there to support a local place.

What other brands would you suggest looking at? Danner? Irish Setter? CAT?

Thanks for the help!

If I remember right Irish Setter are made by Red Wing. But if you got 10 years from your Red Wings why are you looking elsewhere?

10 years? Are u using them?

IMO, the quality of Red Wing boots has faltered dramatically in the last 10 years, but so has many other brands(LaCrosse, I am looking at you:mad:). Danner is still pretty top notch stuff though.

IMO, the quality of Red Wing boots has faltered dramatically in the last 10 years, but so has many other brands(LaCrosse, I am looking at you:mad:). Danner is still pretty top notch stuff though.

Wisc, I don't know if it is still that way but when I bought my last Red Wings the dealer told me that some were made overseas and some in the USA. The ones I bought were made in USA and are going strong at 6 years.

I had used their steel toe work boots for many years but the last pair I had sucked and I have no idea where they were made. I just assumed they were all still made in the US, my bad apparently, and Chinese craftsmanship:rolleyes: would also explain my bad luck with the pair I had.

I just purchased these un-insulated boots for grouse hunting and misc. walking in the woods. These have the memory foam. These boots are more comfortable than sneakers and are much better for your feet. $319 is not for everyone though. But I feel it is well worth it.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/foot...g-boots/_/N-1102520/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_105543180

:eek: Yowser. At $319 /pr......I'd be proud of those boots too.

:eek: Yowser. At $319 /pr......I'd be proud of those boots too.

They are really really really nice Foggy. Go try on a pair. ;)

The American made Redwings are second to none. I wear them everyday for work and get a year and half out of a pair in some pretty rough conditions. I wear through the materials before something they assembled fails. I will wear the soul or toe down working on concrete and metal surfaces, but I can't blame that on them.

They are really really really nice Foggy. Go try on a pair. ;)

Nah.....lately I been trying on more golf shoes and sneakers than hunt'n boots. Don't seem to do as much work in the woods lately....and not walking as much due to joint issues. I hope to wear out a couple more pairs of bootso_O....but mine are fine at the moment. ;)

10 years? Are u using them?
Yes sir! Not hunting boots though, just work boots.

I use them all summer, and then I wear them in the winter around town when it's wet. I got them when I was 14 and my feet stopped growing. Their use has increased with age. I've worn through the leather on the outside, but other than that they are solid.

I'd kind of heard that, which is why I was asking... I'd assumed that someone had gotten a pair recently! :)
If you want leather boots. The Meindl boots (made in Germany) made for Cabelas are top notch. They put all the Danner and other supposedly premium boots to shame.

I'm pretty sure that Steve Rinella used to Rep them. I love the guy, so I'm willing to give most things that he endorses a try. I might be thinking of Schnees though.

Anyone try Kinetreks?

I've got a couple of pairs of kenetreks I use. Great boots and really comfortable. Takes a while to break them in but once done are solid as they get.

Kennetrek boots are the best I've worn so far. They're expensive but well worth it IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I'll stick with Red Wing, but I'll make sure they are made in the U.S. They say online which models are produced where.