Bean Seeds

foggy

5 year old buck +
Anyone got a line for RR Soybean seeds for next year? this would be the time to get a bargain on good seed. We could get together for a "buy" ? MO? .....do you broker such an early buy deal?

How many bags? What Maturity?

I know some people that planted some this year that need to get harvested with a combine this fall. My plan is to buy them from them for $10 a bushel and scatter them on the ground for the deer to eat. I think I will take some and bury them with my harrow for the gophers and earthworms too. ;)

I will be sure not to plant any of those beans though. That might be considered illegal. ;) My only apprehension is if I get one or two RUP resistant waterhemp or giant rag seeds mixed in. I dont want my deer shitting that stuff all over the woods. I will be sure to buy them some very clean food. ;)

Yep. Not sure what maturity I got this year. Planted in early June and I'd prefer to do that again.

This year I bought 4 Bags of RR Beans @25. per bag. I'd buy six or so.....but would not pay much more.....and I prefer less. I have bought beans thru a wildlife program.....but some of those were getting old. I dont mind "last years" beans.....but don't want to waste my time and energy on older stuff.

What is a fair price for six bags of last years beans?

Leftover seed can be a lot like those girls at closing time. You might get a winner. You might get hurtpeas.

I gave MO $42 for beans that were brand new and the RIGHT MATURITY when I planted. Year old beans that are not geared to be planted when and where I put them may or may not work out.

Beans are cheap fertilizer wise. Bargain for tonnage in areas where deer don't decimate them.

I got burned on my MDHA corn. It was free but it never dimpled and dried and the deer did not like it. Few hundred bucks in fertilizer went to waste on that plot. Disked half in this spring and saw one volunteer corn stalk this summer.

Yep. Not sure what maturity I got this year. Planted in early June and I'd prefer to do that again.

This year I bought 4 Bags of RR Beans @25. per bag. I'd buy six or so.....but would not pay much more.....and I prefer less. I have bought beans thru a wildlife program.....but some of those were getting old. I dont mind "last years" beans.....but don't want to waste my time and energy on older stuff.

What is a fair price for six bags of last years beans?

My cost on the beans brooks got is $38, they had Over 90% germ and are all sized so you have as uniform of planting as possible! They are the right bean for guys in our area. But I sell mainly to farmers for production, so beans that can hit the 50-60 bu range ain't the same as the beans you get from WTF, I guarantee it! So that makes them cost more. I still have a few bags left over I think if you want to go that route. If not, don't be afraid of year or 2 old beans, they do keep their germ very well. A year ago I showed you guys some 5 year old LL soybeans that still had 95% germ out of a bag that said 90% germ. If you can get some good seed cheap grab it. Don't have to be from me Foggy! Good Luck!

If you do come over, you can view these beans as they are growing next to my driveway on the way into the farm.

Last edited:
I know some people that planted some this year that need to get harvested with a combine this fall. My plan is to buy them from them for $10 a bushel and scatter them on the ground for the deer to eat. I think I will take some and bury them with my harrow for the gophers and earthworms too. ;)

I will be sure not to plant any of those beans though. That might be considered illegal. ;) My only apprehension is if I get one or two RUP resistant waterhemp or giant rag seeds mixed in. I dont want my deer shitting that stuff all over the woods. I will be sure to buy them some very clean food. ;)
I say risk it. What's the worst that could happen?

I was talking about unleashing the nightmarish hell of resistant mega weeds to a hunting property.

gotcha

With over seeding the beans with grains last year weeds were not near as bad this year. I Was considering going non RR but their really isn't much of a price gap at 42/bag.. Mo do you sell anything non RR???

Leftover seed can be a lot like those girls at closing time. You might get a winner. You might get hurtpeas.

I gave MO $42 for beans that were brand new and the RIGHT MATURITY when I planted. Year old beans that are not geared to be planted when and where I put them may or may not work out.

Beans are cheap fertilizer wise. Bargain for tonnage in areas where deer don't decimate them.

I got burned on my MDHA corn. It was free but it never dimpled and dried and the deer did not like it. Few hundred bucks in fertilizer went to waste on that plot. Disked half in this spring and saw one volunteer corn stalk this summer.
I have some of that same seed in the ground. I hope to have some corn form it. It was a bit slow to tassel and weed control was terrible. But I have more heat units this year and on my ground than what you probably have just 20 miles away.

2015..Our chapter also had beans at $10 per bag, limit of one bag and we had to charge $35 for a bag of corn this year. Hides for Habitat program pays for our foodplot program and we have went from 700 hides to less than 200. Hides for Habitat collections will determine what we do next year.

With over seeding the beans with grains last year weeds were not near as bad this year. I Was considering going non RR but their really isn't much of a price gap at 42/bag.. Mo do you sell anything non RR???

Liberty link beans or conventional beans.

How they compare in price?

Roundup Seed is $40-50 a bag, herbicide is $4 each pass.
Liberty Link Seed is $34-44 a bag, Herbicide right now is around $15 each pass.
Conventional Seed is $28-40 a bag, Pre emerge herbicide is $15 per acre, Post herbicide can be $25-$40 per pass.