Barn removal

browndog

5 year old buck +
I have an old barn on my place and I guess the time has come to take it down.
Has anyone had an old barn taken down on their property? I guess I am looking for ideas/names of outfits that would take a barn down that has a good reputation and maybe offer a little cash for the lumber.

We had an old barn restored by the company below. Not sure if you would be interested in restoring but we were very happy them. Not sure if they do salvage work, but may be able to refer you to someone who does.

http://www.benderbuildersinc.com/

Lots of places looking for good barn wood. Many places offer you so much per linear foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spud, I looked through Bender's website, that is some awesome stuff. The Christina barn restoration kind of looks like my barn.

Lots of places looking for good barn wood. Many places offer you so much per linear foot.

Do you have any names or links that you could post for me? Thanks.

I haven't sold any, but I see them on Craigslist often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been checking CL a little bit. I kind of want to take it down in the fall if we go that route, so I have a few months to get something figured out.

Try Barnwood Builders, they are in Virginia. Don`t have a phone number. Try www.Barnwood Builders .com. Hope this works for you.

I have watched the Barnwood Builders show and some of the stuff they do is very cool. It would be cool if they tore my barn down and used the lumber/beams on one of their projects. Not sure if they would come to WI?

Do you have any Amish or Mennonites in the area? They'll do it for the lumber.

Didn't restore it but saved it from falling in. I had the Amish barn builders com and sure up the rafters and cover it in metal.

Great place to rifle hunt from because coffee and the can are just a short walk away.

100_3560.JPG IMG00102-20100716-1042.jpg

My biggest issue with my barn is that the west wall is pushing out. It also needs a new roof and boards replaced. Insurance company did a property check last month and sent me a letter yesterday saying I had one year to demolish it. This wall has been like this for as long as I have been alive. Pic of inside also.

Sucks to see these old barns come down.
aa3fd54490520ab297d53cd177e1bccb.jpg
19e231364d6abb7955e367cd1c21308a.jpg

The Amish would probably give you between 2500 to 5000 for your barn if you have any in your area. That is what they wanted to give me for our old barn that is alot smaller.

The Amish would probably give you between 2500 to 5000 for your barn if you have any in your area. That is what they wanted to give me for our old barn that is alot smaller.

That would be something that I would be interested in. It would cover the concrete removal/burial.

If anyone has any Amish leads, feel free to PM with info. Thanks

It is a shame to lose those old barns but they aren't that useful in today's world. If it is cheap enough, a little upkeep is a lot cheaper than a new structure. But once they decline too much, you need to have a lot of spare cash and nostalgia to justify refurbishing them.

That's a nice old barn. But like chickenlittle says it isn't cheap fixing them. No one uses hay lofts any longer. I've got $10K in to making mine decent again. That was a few years back when things were slow.

Is the old silo next to it wooden also? Thats pretty cool to.

Change insurance company's. The only thing my farmers agent told me before fixing it is they wouldn't cover it. They covered the house and new barn.

What you get paid is highly dependent on the type of wood, quality, and amount of the choicest materials.

I had a barn brought down by the Amish and was paid 1500 for the wood. They do a decent job getting it down but you will have a mess when they are done. They probably won't want the roof which is a mess when they drop it.

I cleaned up a lot myself and burned the scraps that they left. I brought in an excavator because I wanted it hauled away and not buried. Cost me 8k for that so net I was still out 6500.

If you are on the east side of Wisconsin let me know and I can see if I can dig up the guys number.

Is the old silo next to it wooden also? Thats pretty cool to.

It is like some sort of clay tile I believe. That has to come down too.

It is a shame to lose those old barns but they aren't that useful in today's world

The only use that it gets is that the barn swallows love it. I will miss that part. The old barn has been home to who knows how many swallows over the years.
Call me crazy....I'm already looking into some sort of swallow structure when the barn comes down. Swallows are a big reason I want to wait until September to take the barn down. A lot of nests with eggs in them now.

It is like some sort of clay tile I believe. That has to come down too.

My grandmother had a wood silo that was unused and starting to lean. Someone bought it and took it down for the wood. That was probably 25 years ago.