Bark graft pear tree success timeframe

Either that or try to train some as limbs. Each tree is different in what is best. I've even occasionally done an open center design like the do a lot overseas, but I do usually prefer a central leader. The main thing is to get that gap filled in ASAP and then worry about training.

Excuse my ignorance, but Is the gap you're referring to the gap between the grafts?

Excuse my ignorance, but Is the gap you're referring to the gap between the grafts?
Yes, the space between the grafts. Until that gets filled in, you have an open wound that can decay or be an entrance for disease or pests.

Do you put your bracing directly against or right behind the grafts?
Very close to touching with a little room for them to grow. Bracing up high as they grow is the most important thing. You don’t want the growing grafts to be able to move sideways. They can break loose with too much pressure.

Very close to touching with a little room for them to grow. Bracing up high as they grow is the most important thing. You don’t want the growing grafts to be able to move sideways. They can break loose with too much pressure.
Thanks. What do you use to attach the upper part of the graft to the piece of bamboo?

Thanks. What do you use to attach the upper part of the graft to the piece of bamboo?
Duct tape. I fold the tape near the graft to keep the sticky part from touching the leaves or limb. Just make a circle around the graft and stick to the bamboo.

Duct tape. I fold the tape near the graft to keep the sticky part from touching the leaves or limb. Just make a circle around the graft and stick to the bamboo.

Appreciate all of your help. I've learned so much from this forum.

FWIW, I'm using surveyor flagging type tied around graft to PVC pipe at several intervals

So far, so good this year

bill

I bought some cheap velcro straps I found on amazon for connecting to the stakes.

As far as my grafts that I lost, I thoroughly inspected the tree on Saturday as even the limb sprouts below the graft looked rough. I had a corrugated drain pipe around the base to prevent girdling. I removed this to find a large colony of small ants. I have a feeling this played a part in my grafts not surviving that I never noticed until now. The grafts grew much slower than my other trees and I should have checked this. Anyway, I tried to kill them off and I'll give it another shot in the spring.