Bad news

I've never had a dog, only pet rabbits. I don't have enough acreage to give a dog a good "romp" area. You've done what any dog - especially a hunting dog - would love to have ……. days in the field with it's master & family to hunt. And still swimming, too - like you have in the pic. Maybe less discomfort with the buoyancy taking weight off the leg ??

Enjoy the time you have left and help his exit be one with no suffering. Savor the memories and the picture book / collage. Hang in there pal.

I lost my 7 year old Rottie Casey to bone cancer in later October. The cancer was initially misdiagnosed by the vet as arthritis. It spread and we had to put Casey to sleep on October 23. We had him cremated locally. I miss him and still cry every day. My friend made a custom urn for him from cherry and oak wood that was harvested on my home's land. It is a wonderful last resting place.
ksgobbler. one thing I would like to mention is that we started giving Casey CBD oil for pets twice a day as soon as we found out he had cancer. I have no hard scientific evidence that it helped him. I will state that he had his appetite until the end although he insisted on being hand fed. He had his personality until the end also. If you go this route, it is best to give him the CBD oil two hours before his food. You give him "X" amount of drops according to his weight. I put the drops on wet food he liked and then right into his mouth like a treat. I think the CBD oil helped him and gave him more good time.
I am very sorry to hear about Molly. Enjoy and cherish the time you have left with her.
I ordered cbd oil yesterday. Some good data out there with it and osteosarcoma. Glad to hear it helped your dog.

My wife is feeling your pain tonight. She took our Phoebe in at 4:30 this afternoon to be put down. She was 14 and had been on heart medication for 8 months. She wasn't a hunter or a farm dog or even much of an outside dog anymore, but still very much a part of our family. At only 15 pounds, she was a great guard dog, protecting our house and kids with all her might. We lost 2 of our 3 in 2 months. It's pretty hard, ksbobbler. Hang in there. It helps to type and talk about it.

Sorry to hear your story too, Mortenson. Dogs just give unconditional love. Guys in my camp have dogs and they always come to me for scratching when we're there. I can see why dog owners get so attached. The dogs are happy just to see their owners - tails wagging. Hang in there gents.

While I was at work last night she took a turn for the worse. Headed to the vet as we speak but I fear the time to let her cross the rainbow bridge is close.

At 0830 this morning Molly crossed the rainbow bridge. When one day my time comes I know she will be waiting on me. Kind of fitting as dad help me load her 2 geese flew over treetop tall as if to say goodbye.

So sorry.

Sorry to hear. The geese were there for a reason.

My dad and brother helped me bury her. When we pulled up to the pond there were a doz ducks on the pond that didnt want to leave.

Then I got back to the house and thr young dog ate 20 75mg rimadyl capsules so back to the vet. Talk about a shitty day.

@ksgobbler - it's a shitty day. And you will have a few more soon too. Know that you did what you could for her and you owe it to her to take care of yourself.

I agree with @Mortenson - it helps to talk about it. And it's probably easier here than in person.

I shed a tear reading this today. I feel your pain. Take care.

-John

Ksgobbler, sorry to hear the update and promise you have my deepest sympathies.

Have had dogs since my earliest days, and fell in love with goofy, lovable Great Dane breed along the way bout 25 years ago. Talk about a breed that will bring you sadness, think the longest lived one I've had was 8 (lost him to cancer as well).

Though I was required to read a fair amount of poetry in high school and college, can't say it ever proved to be my favorite thing in the world... but... one poem that has stayed with me is by Rudyard Kipling regarding dogs... don't know that truer words have ever been spoken.

The Power of the Dog
By Rudyard Kipling​
There is sorrow enough in the natural way​
From men and women to fill our day;​
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,​
Why do we always arrange for more?​
Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware​
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.​
Buy a pup and your money will buy​
Love unflinching that cannot lie—​
Perfect passion and worship fed​
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.​
Nevertheless it is hardly fair​
To risk your heart for a dog to tear.​
When the fourteen years which Nature permits​
Are closing in asthma, or tumor, or fits,​
And the vet’s unspoken prescription runs​
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,​
Then you will find—it’s your own affair—​
But … you’ve given your heart to a dog to tear.​
When the body that lived at your single will,​
With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!).​
When the spirit that answered your every mood​
Is gone—wherever it goes—for good,​
You will discover how much you care,​
And will give your heart to a dog to tear.​
We’ve sorrow enough in the natural way,​
When it comes to burying Christian clay.​
Our loves are not given, but only lent,​
At compound interest of cent per cent.​
Though it is not always the case, I believe,​
That the longer we’ve kept ’em, the more do we grieve:​
For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,​
A short-time loan is as bad as a long—​
So why in—Heaven (before we are there)​
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?​
And yet, most of us (myself included) do keep getting them as companions. And how can we not, as they truly are man's best friend. Prayers lifted that the pain eases soon as possible while the good memories are kept forever.

Sorry to hear KSGobbler.

I'm sorry ksgobbler.

So sorry for the loss of your family member.

The night before she passed I took her down to swim before I headed to work. I never thought it would be her last. The young dog has just been moping around. Pretty obvious she is in mourning. There have been ducks on the pond every day since we buried her down there.
20190326_144833.jpg

Sorry to hear KS, they usually know when it is time to go. Good that she is now out of her pain.