Bad news

ksgobbler

5 year old buck +
My 10 yr old chocolate lab started favoring her rear right leg mid Feb. We thought it was due to the CCL replacement when she was a year old. Acupuncture and drugs didnt work and I eventually asked my vet to refer us to the Kstate vet school. Soon after arriving there we had our answer. Cancer. Needle biopsy confirmed osteosarcoma. Ill admit I cried for awhile. Weve had Molly since before we had kids. She has been a great dog and retrieved thousands of ducks. I hoped one day I would find her passed away peacefully in her sleep but that wont be the case. I take her in for a chest to determine how far it has spread tomorrow.
20181202_104612.jpg

Sorry to hear that. Take care.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That sucks. Looks like a good dog. I had to put my Jake down two months ago. I heard someone say it's better to be a day too early than a day too late, so I kept that in mind.

Sorry buddy that’s tough. I had a 12 year old American Bulldog Capone die 18 months ago. He lived through a few things including cancer. He even found me to say good bye before he laid down and died. I too cried my eyes out several times over that dog. I couldn’t cremate him so I buried him right in my front yard with my favorite T-shirt. I still talk to him once in a while when I mow the lawn or as I stroll past his grave for a hunt. My wife had a painting made of him so I see that every day and it helped. I still refuse to get another dog. Good luck.

That sucks! My last dog was probably my last dog. He was a duck nut. If I pulled out with the boat and he wasn’t with me, he went “crazy”

Molly retrieved 1000’s of ducks. That makes me smile. You let her live the life she was bread for. So many retrievers these days never get to really learn or know what they are.

Molly had great run. You’ll miss her but you gave her a good life!

We always hope to outlive our dogs, but it sure sucks when we do. Sorry to hear about yours.

A couple of the longest days of my life were days I had to put a dog down. Really bad days. The longest I made it without a replacement was 6 months.

-John

That so sucks, our lab Dixie went through the exact same thing a couple years ago. I was crushed, it is a rough thing to have to go through. I did get a lot of really good support from the dog lovers on this website and wish you the best. One thing that really helped us was "borrowing" my daughters boxer kind of as a support dog the first night without Dixie, it was good for my youngest son and wife just to have him there ...and it helped me.
We also found a new puppy a few weeks later to start...we are a dog family and just couldn't be without one around the house, hunting and just sharing our life with.

God bless you KsGobbler

We all feel your pain

bill

Thanks. When I told my brother she had cancer he started sending me pics he had taken of her through the years. My SIL is working on a picture collage with all the pics he has. He said he would help me bury her when the time comes. We think down by the pond since that was her favorite spot and she will forever get to hear birds fly over in the fall.received_1038702012993012.jpegreceived_262082741347432.jpegreceived_335127030338682.jpegreceived_329387427932727.jpegreceived_2382388191806296.jpeg

I'm sorry to hear that. I have an "old dog" that I dread the day. Unfortunately these things happen and we as their care takers have to make some tough decisions. Do what is best for the dog...it may not be easy, but we have loved them all this time...we have to show a little self sacrifice in doing the right thing sometimes. Remember the good times.

KS ... this is the part of ... life sucks at times. They are a tremendous companion and have unwavering loyalty.

Had to put down my 1st two labs at age 7 each. One had cancer in the shoulder, one had an intestinal infection. Both in their prime, great family & protector dog, great in the field. My 3rd lab was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor in his lip almost two years ago when he was 6. Had his 4 incisors and 1 canine tooth, along with part of his jaw removed. Had to learn how to eat without dropping food, is doing great know, just drools alot :emoji_relaxed:

Sounds like your buddy is out of options, enjoy every minute with her, good luck with her.

Sorry ksgobbler. Been there. Thinking about you and your beautiful lab. It's clear that you gave her the best life a dog could have. I know it's tough, but rejoice in that.

Very sorry you are going through this...I have a 13 year old fur baby that was my partner at work for 12 years. Good Luck

Sorry to hear man. Hoping for the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm so sorry ksgobbler, she sounds like a wonderful dog so enjoy the time you have left with her. We have a 9 year old fur baby and I really dread her days coming to an end!

So sorry to hear. I lost mine last year and am still not over it. I think about him every day.

So sorry to hear this. I too am hoping for the best.

Honestly I am not dealing with it well. I was sick last week then Monday we found out the dog had cancer. I have eaten 3 meals this week. Just have zero appetite. Ive lost 23 lbs in the last 2 weeks.

I lost my 7 year old Rottie Casey to bone cancer in later October. The cancer was initially misdiagnosed by the vet as arthritis. It spread and we had to put Casey to sleep on October 23. We had him cremated locally. I miss him and still cry every day. My friend made a custom urn for him from cherry and oak wood that was harvested on my home's land. It is a wonderful last resting place.
ksgobbler. one thing I would like to mention is that we started giving Casey CBD oil for pets twice a day as soon as we found out he had cancer. I have no hard scientific evidence that it helped him. I will state that he had his appetite until the end although he insisted on being hand fed. He had his personality until the end also. If you go this route, it is best to give him the CBD oil two hours before his food. You give him "X" amount of drops according to his weight. I put the drops on wet food he liked and then right into his mouth like a treat. I think the CBD oil helped him and gave him more good time.
I am very sorry to hear about Molly. Enjoy and cherish the time you have left with her.