Back to back corn

If I ever had the space, and didn't have to deal with bears and coons, I'd love to try 60" corn at a 50,000 in-row pop/acre. I'd also drag the planter over it a third time to put in a vining bean to climb and feed it.

Don't forget the chicory.

I'm trying something sort of like that this year, and will be again next year. Double planted 72 inch or so rows of corn with soybeans in between and a diversity mix spread throughout. Planted with an old JD 292 planter pulled behind my 4 wheeler. No-tilled or the best attempt I could make at it. 2nd year out of conventional ag. No amendments applied except vermicast through the planter with the seed. 90 day corn. Central MN. Fortunately I don't get too many bears hanging around. Plenty of raccoons, but they haven't proved to be too big of a problem yet.

Attachments

• 20220908_092409.jpg
    20220908_092409.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 18
I'm trying something sort of like that this year, and will be again next year. Double planted 72 inch or so rows of corn with soybeans in between and a diversity mix spread throughout. Planted with an old JD 292 planter pulled behind my 4 wheeler. No-tilled or the best attempt I could make at it. 2nd year out of conventional ag. No amendments applied except vermicast through the planter with the seed. 90 day corn. Central MN. Fortunately I don't get too many bears hanging around. Plenty of raccoons, but they haven't proved to be too big of a problem yet.
Coons were an issue for me when I planted my soybean corn mix. I was heavy on the beans and light on the corn. They seemed to work well together for me.

Thanks! That video is what I was hoping for. I'll have to look at some of their later stuff and see how it worked out over time. They used Durana. I've planted a TON of it in Louisiana. I like it, but wasn't sure how it would do trying to drill corn into it. That's why I was thinking crimson. That definitely gives me something to bring to my farmer though.
It'd be neat to have it work with a perennial clover, but I haven't been able to crack that code yet. That white clover is just oppressive when you're trying to get other stuff in it.

Keep at it. It looks really cool where it works, and can dwarf any conventionally planted plot. There is a channel on the tube called cover crop kings. They did 60" corn at 50k or 55k population in-row, and they were getting around 90% yield compared to the same population per acre in 30" rows, but with the bonus of all the grazing forage between the rows. I'm pretty sure they cut the fertility back as well.

Could you imagine having 8' tall vining bean forage with pods hanging off that corn crop? You'd need a skid steer to haul those chunky deer outta there.

This has been done. There were a few guys doing different versions of it on the old QDMA forum. The guys doing it were having good luck with it depending on deer densities. We lost a lot of valuable reference material when they took that forum down.

......which still angers me

bill

I have had corn on corn for quite a few years. Most years, the ground gets a dose of chicken or dairy pit manure.

I should check the pH as I do know it is low.

I feel standing corn is important for winter survival of the deer herd in heavy snow years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

II feel standing corn is important for winter survival of the deer herd in heavy snow years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Certainly doesn't hurt, turkeys reap a big (maybe bigger?) benefit from it too. I'm a grouse hunter and if I have spots with thermal cover next to corn throughout December the ruffed grouse use it as well.