Atv clutch replacement

D

dipper

Betsy appArently needs a new clutch in her. They want $860:confused:
She's hardly worth that. The 2 big hits are $200 for the housing and $273 for the carrier. $165 labor another $223 for oil, gaskets,etc
What about just adjusting it? It's slips and does have crap for power, especially when it's cold.
I feel like I'm getting hosed? I don't really know this guy so it creeps me out a little

Year, Make, Model? I have a coworker who is president of one of our local ATV clubs and pretty much spends all of his free time wrenching on quads for the rest of the club members. He does excellent work and I would trust his opinion. He works the weekend shift at the shop in our maintenance department and he will be in tomorrow. If I had your info I could ask him and he will tell me if your getting the shaft from the guy who quoted you.

what brand/model?

Ahh, pretty sure it is an 2001 Yamaha bear tracker. 250 x2 wheel drive
Good for food plots when it worked

One thing I don't understand is why you would need a new housing? Unless it is cracked or a janked-up design the housing shouldn't be an issue?:confused:

One thing I don't understand is why you would need a new housing? Unless it is cracked or a janked-up design the housing shouldn't be an issue?:confused:
Bastards!!!!!:mad:

I did look at the parts and that carrier is a pretty intricate casting. If the clutch plates were worn enough, it might have gouged the internal surfaces that some of the moving parts ride on?

$223.00 for oil and gaskets sounds high.

Makes a guy wonder doesn't it big lake. I've never taken apart a clutch on a atv or motorcycle, but I'm noticing a drastic difference in price. Lots of ways to make money I suppose.

on an ATV of that type I wouldnt even think twice about some used parts to get it up and running.

That ATV if its been used hard isnt worth a whole lot more than the price he is quoting to fix the clutch.

NADA Blue Book value is around $950 in good condition.

I am glad someone said it. I don't think 800 bucks is the value of the machine. seems steep.

I would jump all over a beartracker for 800 if it was decent shape.

The pos, tried hosing me for $860. I educated myself a little bit and looked up how to adjust the clutch. He lied to me and said I couldn't adjust it. So freaking simple. It runs like a champ now!
i know u guys think I'm cheap. I just flat out refuse to get screwed. Pos's like this is why my guard is up all the time. Anyone who gets my $ better earn it!
Thanks for the insight

Glad you were able to adjust it. good for you

Lots of money to be made wrenching on small engined machines (atv's, lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc...) that people either don't know how to fix or don't have the time.

A lot of lawn mowers go to the dump for want of a little carb cleaner and fresh gas.

A lot of lawn mowers go to the dump for want of a little carb cleaner and fresh gas.
Small engine guy I know "rebuilds" lots of carbs with good ole seafoam. And then in a year or two the same customer comes back with the same problem after leaving old and untreated gasoline in his system again. Job security.

I had forgotten to stabil the gas in my generator after running it 8hrs a day for 4 days, then it got shoved back in the shed and put on the "I should get to this sometime" list. Two years later - no start, but would fire with fuel dumped in the carb: classic varnished main jet.

20 mins, a couple shots of carb cleaner, a tooth pick, and some finesse later: good as new!