As they lay thread…

Darn sorry to hear that,wonder if he knows about him or just being that way

I got a heartbreak this week. Been waiting to walk the neighbor’s property for my big 4 antlered deer. It’s where I found one of his sheds last year. I went Wednesday and had a few glasses of bourbon with him and eventually asked to walk it as a formality. He said no. I walked it for 23 years while his dad owned it. He passed and I walked it last year with permission from the son. Now it’s a no… And with how cocky he was when he said it? Likely the last time we speak as friends. We have helped keep their farm afloat with free labor for decades. All in exchange for a little access (fishing and shed hunting only). We’ll see how long it takes to be up for sale without our help. On the way out he asked if I could help him burn this spring. Needless to say it felt good to say no. And walk out… End of an era again…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you really donating enough labor to keep the farm in the black? That must be an incredible amount of hours.
I'm guessing someone else wanted the shed hunting, maybe they are paying for the privilege? It sucks, but money talks.

Are you really donating enough labor to keep the farm in the black? That must be an incredible amount of hours.
I'm guessing someone else wanted the shed hunting, maybe they are paying for the privilege? It sucks, but money talks.

When the dad was in his final years, the son and grandson were nowhere to be found. While it might be a stretch to say we kept them in the black, we shared a bull with him and the agreement was to alternate the purchase each time. We bought the bull the last three times because he couldn’t float it. We fixed fence because he couldn’t. We fed when he was in the hospital. We fed after he passed for months before the grandson finally showed up to do it. There was no communication after he passed and dad fed the cows without a peep from the family. They literally never showed up. I’m not sure what would have happened to them if he hadn’t as it was December and it had to be done. It sucks because the dad was a GREAT man.

Found one today on a run. I'll include the matched set I've already posted. Both with a hunting pic or two I'd taken this season. Cool to find antlers of deer you have history with!
View attachment 62627View attachment 62628View attachment 62629View attachment 62630View attachment 62631

That’s a stud, Cat!

When the dad was in his final years, the son and grandson were nowhere to be found. While it might be a stretch to say we kept them in the black, we shared a bull with him and the agreement was to alternate the purchase each time. We bought the bull the last three times because he couldn’t float it. We fixed fence because he couldn’t. We fed when he was in the hospital. We fed after he passed for months before the grandson finally showed up to do it. There was no communication after he passed and dad fed the cows without a peep from the family. They literally never showed up. I’m not sure what would have happened to them if he hadn’t as it was December and it had to be done. It sucks because the dad was a GREAT man.

Farmers/Ranchers doing what it takes to help the neighbors! Good on you guys! Sorry it turned out the way it did. Either the family didn't understand how much you guys helped (you did a lot), or they just don't care. Probably took it for granted and just expected it to always be that way.

Dang, that sucks.

I got a heartbreak this week. Been waiting to walk the neighbor’s property for my big 4 antlered deer. It’s where I found one of his sheds last year. I went Wednesday and had a few glasses of bourbon with him and eventually asked to walk it as a formality. He said no. I walked it for 23 years while his dad owned it. He passed and I walked it last year with permission from the son. Now it’s a no… And with how cocky he was when he said it? Likely the last time we speak as friends. We have helped keep their farm afloat with free labor for decades. All in exchange for a little access (fishing and shed hunting only). We’ll see how long it takes to be up for sale without our help. On the way out he asked if I could help him burn this spring. Needless to say it felt good to say no. And walk out… End of an era again…

That really sucks. Are the son or grandson avid hunters or shed hunters?

On a better note. We went to check on a flock of crows that were clearly on something dead about 75 yards off the road in a waterway. Turned out to be a dead doe that likely got hit last night. Oddly enough, wedged in between two small tree trunks was a shed that had been there for a couple years I think. Never hit the ground! You can see hair in the pic obviously, but her carcass was about 15 yards away.
4026b71151d326833e1a765798a497fe.jpg

On our way home something caught my eye. On a place I have already shed hunted, I thought I saw a rib cage and a rack. Sure enough, it was a buck that had clearly been there since last fall. I had to have walked within 50 yards of him a couple weeks ago. It’s weird, he stuck out like a sore thumb with the light this morning. Must have been just right. And before you ask, glory pic for sure. Maybe a 130” buck. Good mass and I did this angle to show the daggers off the back of his base.
829962054681e1459faff7f18888ac2c.jpg

T-Max, this falls under the no good deed goes unpunished category. I have had the same experience wit several neighbors. helping out and doing good things thinking they will reciprocate was never realized. Never ceases to amaze me how selfish and self serving some folks can be.

The good, the bad, and the ugly

Attachments

• IMG_2655.jpeg
    IMG_2655.jpeg
    836.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2656.jpeg
    IMG_2656.jpeg
    751 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2657.jpeg
    IMG_2657.jpeg
    853.3 KB · Views: 41
The good, the bad, and the ugly
Slammer set! Bummer on the deadheads. At least you found them and don't have to wonder...

Found these Saturday. The shed is a buck I passed a few times. The 10 pt deadhead is a younger one that was starting to develop splits on both brow tines. Lastly, a little 8 that got caught up in a fence😢
PXL_20240224_225321018.jpgPXL_20231202_014241531.jpgPXL_20231230_161939886-1.jpg

My first ever 2 pointer match set.

View attachment 62785

Nice! I actually cherish a set of spikes. I turned one set into a really cool set of salad tongs. I grew up eating salad, and I eat it with almost every meal. If you are interested in doing that, I have some bad news: it was less difficult and expensive to find a set of salad tongs and strip the handles than it was to find a decent set of salad tong parts without handles. That said, the whole project cost me less than 20 bucks, and the result is excellent.

Edit: I said it backwards the first time.

Last edited: