Article on shed poachers

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +

I go back to my strategy when/if I get poached on. I’m suing the piss out of you civily. I’ll pay just to make your life hell. I don’t understand why this guy, who obviously has ridiculous deep pockets and the desire to prosecute, wouldn’t do the same. The penalties from the law is not a deterrent and frankly a joke. In this case you literally can prove value being lost. I think if civil lawsuits in private property game violations ever take hold, it could really deter people are better off 6’ under.

I'm blown away there is that much money in sheds. I don't know who would pay thousands for a shed antler.

With that said, I don't think tresspassers deserve the death penalty. I do like the idea of civil suits though. Before my parents bought their property (and eventually moved onto it), seems like everyone in the county knew the property was vacant for decades and used it however they wanted to. We had to fight tresspassers for a few years, but it has gotten a lot better, especially since cell cameras have become a thing. In that story they kind of alluded to the fact that the tresspassing has changed since cell cams. From my experience, it still isn't prosecutable, even if their face or license plate is clearly visible in a photo or video. Still, the amount of tresspassing has been going down.

That said, we still have problems with people walking streams looking for arrowheads, but that is a whole other can of worms.

I'm blown away there is that much money in sheds. I don't know who would pay thousands for a shed antler.

With that said, I don't think tresspassers deserve the death penalty. I do like the idea of civil suits though. Before my parents bought their property (and eventually moved onto it), seems like everyone in the county knew the property was vacant for decades and used it however they wanted to. We had to fight tresspassers for a few years, but it has gotten a lot better, especially since cell cameras have become a thing. In that story they kind of alluded to the fact that the tresspassing has changed since cell cams. From my experience, it still isn't prosecutable, even if their face or license plate is clearly visible in a photo or video. Still, the amount of tresspassing has been going down.

That said, we still have problems with people walking streams looking for arrowheads, but that is a whole other can of worms.
6’ under was a bit tongue and cheek but I have no use for poachers. But yeah what I’ve learned the longer I get in business and the more i observe “successful” people is lawsuits are a dime a dozen in that world. Everyone has a lawyer on retainer. Half the stuff they sue people on they know they likely won’t win but it’s principle and they take pride in causing someone else headache. If you hit some lowlife shed poacher with a $25,000 loss of revenue and enjoyment you have a case. At minimum you cause them to go through mental and financial anguish to defend themselves

Last edited:
I was shed poached one year in Iowa. The previous year we found 21 on 240 acres. The next year we found 2.

Checked the camera and there was a “knucklehead” not Tim Walz, with a bunch of antlers—he does right by 2 cameras !

I was shed poached one year in Iowa. The previous year we found 21 on 240 acres. The next year we found 2.

Checked the camera and there was a “knucklehead” not Tim Walz, with a bunch of antlers—he does right by 2 cameras !
And he was no worse for the wear cause nothing happened to him. That’s the problem

I don't even agree with having to post your own land. People know damn well it's not their land and they should just stay out in my opinion. Should put up posted signs for the handful of people that want others on their land. A BIG WELCOME SIGN. jmo

This has been a problem in western states for years. There are people who's whole life revolves around shed hunting. They have had to pass laws in some states. They use aircraft, grid off areas and pound out all the vegetation, string cables in trees to knock antlers off, cut fences, block roads, gather and cash during the illegal season to pick up during the legal season, and overall have more impact on animals and the land than any legit hunting.
I don't get it. I already spend most of my time looking for something I had in my hand 5 minutes ago, I don't need to waste anymore looking for animal parts that serve no purpose.

I saw an article awhile back where they were putting up signs that said something like Hunting $250.00 per Day.They if they caught someone trespassing there the landowner could say there was a lost value.

I saw an article awhile back where they were putting up signs that said something like Hunting $250.00 per Day.They if they caught someone trespassing there the landowner could say there was a lost value.
If that works, why not make it 500 or 1000? Doubt a guy will trespass 7 straight days. Make it count. Interesting though. Wonder if anything can be found showing where this has worked.

I've think civil suites are the way to go. I think the max award is under $3k, but still worthwhile. Physical confrontation isn't worth it, but that SOB would return to a burning car, lol. Hard to make a profit if your vehicle keeps going up in flames.