Article on heirloom varieties

Good read.

Kind of makes you want to taste a Ben Davis apple.... just so you can say you have.

Basically, I agree with the author. An apple isn't worth saving just because it has a name. Heirloom varieties are only interesting if they are useful. Any variety that's not worth saving shouldn't be saved. Use the space for something better.

Edited to add: The ancient varieties of fruit are probably worth saving just for the sake of history. Imagine eating apples that the vikings ate, or grapes that Jesus and his contemporaries ate. Those varieties would be worth preserving.

Last edited:
I like to see those old varieties saved to preserve genetics. I am not saying we need a thousand of them, but enough to provide genetic material to work with when a new disease arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a two year old Ben Davis. This article has me scared to try the fruit.

The author presents and interesting perspective. When the heirloom varieties were widely grown, it was for very pragmatic reasons. I would apply the same rules today. If they are the best suited apples for a given purpose, then plant them. If not, look to a “modern” variety that does.

That said, I agree with sandbur and telemark. It would be nice to preserve these varieties somewhere so their genetics are not lost.

Last edited:
Good read with pretty honest perspective.

I would tend to say the genetics question comes down to whether the variety has any real value and is worth preserving. But that is such a loaded question it is really hard to answer. You can see that in every thread we've ever made about which are the best varieties for wildlife. For everyone that says ______ variety is their best deer apple, there will always be someone chime in how that variety was a disappointment, whether it be an old variety or a modern "disease resistant" variety.

To the extent that you have a the time, money, space, and desire, there is no substitute for doing your homework about what varieties might work for you, choosing which ones to plant, and seeing what happens. And then being willing to replace it or topwork/graft it to something else if it isn't a great apple for you. (or a great pear or a great persimmon or a great chestnut tree or whatever).

", with a profit motive, people had self-interest in finding such new varieties. That, I think, led growers to name some of these varieties in haste"

This is the part that led me to my conclusion. Anyone can grow a seedling and give it a name. That doesn't make the apple valuable or worth saving. One could even argue it's counterproductive. Additionally, some of the niche apples whose niche has disappeared are not inherently valuable just because they were once useful to someone once upon a time.

A lot of heirloom varieties are still valuable because they are delicious, or useful, or because of their place in history. These are certainly worth preserving. But I agree with the author that not all "heirloom" varieties are worth preserving.

I have a two year old Ben Davis. This article has me scared to try the fruit.
Did you end up liking them? They are becoming one of my favorite tasting apples and the tree is clean and thriving in northern WI.