Archery Target Recommendations

yoderjac

5 year old buck +
One of the long-term projects on our farm is to build an archery range. Our folks shoot both compound and crossbows. I have an area identified, cleared, and planted with a clover base. Over the next few years, I hope to be installing the range.

I plan to build some kind of roof so that targets can stay out all year without direct exposure to rain and snow.

Here is what I'm looking for in terms of characteristics:
  • Field points only
  • Easy arrow removal (not just manufacturers claim)
  • Durable
  • Can handle crossbows as close as 20 yards where they don't penetrate up to the fletching.
  • Have some kind of face where you can see a deer outline from the firing line but can't see heart and lung boundaries from a distance, only when you pull the arrows.
  • It would be good if the target faces were replaceable (paper or something) so that the target could be rotated from time to time to extend longevity.

Any thoughts or experiences with particular targets or brands?

Thanks,

jack

Last edited:
The only targets that I've used and arrows were EASY to pull were bag targets. I've had a couple of the 3d targets with replacement cores and even with the rubber arrow puller to assist with getting a grip on the arrows you will wind up going 3 rounds with the damn target and may even end up on the ground trying to find some extra leverage to get those arrows out(don't ask how I know). I believe the yellow jacket targets are as good as any for arrow stopping and arrow pulling(two fingers with little effort). Those bags are also double sided so when one side is getting pounded in you just turn and shoot the other side. Archery is a lot of fun once you get past the initial investment of bow,arrows,targets in my opinion. Hard to find anything that seems affordable anymore.

As far as the actual targets, I don't have a recommendation. There's lots of good options out there for field tip only.
As far as the range, I love the range my brother's base has. Staggered targets, all with roofs.
cddf609e40c414d64df58a723a98a645.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would get Rinehart targets. Look up rinehart3d.com

As far as the actual targets, I don't have a recommendation. There's lots of good options out there for field tip only.
As far as the range, I love the range my brother's base has. Staggered targets, all with roofs.
cddf609e40c414d64df58a723a98a645.jpg

In envision something similar. A single firing line with multiple lanes with different distance and some kind of roof over targets. In the long run I'm planning for elevated shooting positions as well.

Thanks,

Jack

I would get Rinehart targets. Look up rinehart3d.com

What is your experience with them? Why do you like them? How do they do against the criteria I laid out? I considered 3D targets but those I've used were not setup for easy arrow removal.

Thanks,

Jack

As handy as you are build a couple of lifetime targets put that into Google with archery talk as the key words. I built one several years ago and it meets all the criteria you have listed I believe

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jack, I have use the cubes, and they work decent, but I have never shot a bolt into one. My brother has a crossbow, and he use the Rinehart crossbow block, and he has had it for a couple years, and it looks like new. I have never seen him struggle pulling them out. I wasnt referring to their 3d targets.

Jack, I have use the cubes, and they work decent, but I have never shot a bolt into one. My brother has a crossbow, and he use the Rinehart crossbow block, and he has had it for a couple years, and it looks like new. I have never seen him struggle pulling them out. I wasnt referring to their 3d targets.
Thanks!

BIGSHOTTARGETS. Have an iron mike. Heavy, but Works great.

Speaking of the "lifetime target" I just pulled this pic off of one of those threads on archery talk...

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/#/topics/2014801

Roof, frame to hold target, built to tilt out for maintenance and filling... I might have to do this once I get a place to shoot.
f066380ae24ba698f3366ea5b02163d6.jpg

Speaking of the "lifetime target" I just pulled this pic off of one of those threads on archery talk...

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/#/topics/2014801

Roof, frame to hold target, built to tilt out for maintenance and filling... I might have to do this once I get a place to shoot.
f066380ae24ba698f3366ea5b02163d6.jpg

Very nice! Rag filled?

Third Hand Archery bag targets for field tips. Best out there or buy just the skin and make a shooting box like in the picture above both are available on their website.

Very nice! Rag filled?
Rags old clothes with buttons and zippers removed works the best

Rinehart for broad heads but they don't pull easy. I love the bag targets for field points.

That home made deal looks cool though.

A couple folks have now recommend Rinehart. I kind of like the idea of having whatever the target is suspended. I think the movement can absorb some of the impact which means less penetration.

Thanks,

Jack

I have no experience with crossbows so not sure how the bag targets handle them. However, for durability and ease of removal bag targets are a winner for bows. Some models have built in grommets for hanging the bags. I just bought a Bulldog brand target has it has a flat face for securing spot targets. So far I like it, however the larger ones are heavy and its too early to tell how it will hold up. Always nice to have a couple 3D targets for practicing field shot situations. I have a Glendel buck and I like it for durability and easy arrow removal.

I have an old block. It is ok for arrow removal for my compound but tough for crossbows. One of the aspects I like is that it has sides with a silhouette of the torso of a deer. From 20 yards all you can see is the silhouette. However, when you pull arrows you can see the vitals engraved into the material. For me, it serves a similar purpose to a 3d target. It has no specific aiming point. You need to pick the spot based on the outline of the deer. Then when you approach the target you can see how lethal the shot was. Another side has dots as aim points for sighting in, but for practice I find this equivalent to a 3d target.

So, one of the things I'd like is a target with a similar face to this. I have not found any but I can probably make something to face any bag with a flat front.

Thanks,

Jack

I need an arrow puller to pull field points from both my Rinehart with a regular bow. It is shooting thin diameter arrows 430gr arrows at 315 fps though. The square 1 I have to flip over and stand on. If you are having trouble removing arrows from a block better get a truck with the rhinehart.