All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apples and frost

Just talked to Appleman last night. We had a bad winter last year but he's literally right on the border of Canada and had several back to back -30 nights. He said he lost a couple HC's but had no problems w/ Snowsweet or Liberty at his home orchard. He is real high on Snowsweet. Lucky him, he is about a week or ten days behind me bud development wise and missed all the real bad cold and frost this spring. He has a real good crop up there.
Some HC were lost in central /northern Mn. during the winter of 2013-2014.

DSCN2776.JPG

Sandbur, I went to a tour/ talk with the US Apple Association and our Vt Tree Fruit Growers Association today. We toured 3 orchards, 2 of which were along Lake Champlain. The owner of Champlain Orchard was asked by the President of US Apple if there was a micro climate there due to the lake, the owner replied, "yes". Due to the ice and cold coming in off the lake they are not in bloom until late May! I'm only 30 miles away to their SE and I'm in bloom around May 15th. I thought that was pretty interesting.

We also went over to Woodchuck Cider and took a tour and tried a few ciders. Not a bad day!

Last edited:
Great looking commercial orchard in the pic !! No bears I guess ??

Great looking commercial orchard in the pic !! No bears I guess ??
No bears, but it is also fenced from deer. All the bears in Vermont are up in the mountains, this is in the Champlain Valley.